Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/04 09:42:50 UTC

Why the Apachecon (was Re: ApacheCon NA CFP closed)

We are discussing again, as it seems to me, what the purpose of the
Apachecon is based on talks submitted. And why is that?

It appears, at least to me as I have seen the discussions before, that the
ASF misses a clear strategy regarding the event, why we do it and what the
intended audience is. This should be fixed prior to opening the process for
the next event (Apachecon EU 2015), because then it will be easier to
communicate, easier to invite speakers (and yes, we should do that), and
get everybody on board regarding helping out.

Is the event to be considered as the bi-annual party for ourselves, where
we can all (all the presenters) claim how good we (as the individual) are
with the products of the various projects? Is it an promotion and
networking event? Or is it something that sits somewhere in the middle? And
how does it fit with the strategy and other activities of the ASF Offices
and Projects?

As soon as it is known what it is, we can investigate and define the target
audiences and set up a plan to communicate with (our public information can
be found in 20.700 pages found
https://www.google.nl/search?sitesearch=apache.org&q=apachecon and the page
listed first is related to the conference of 1998) , setup a plan to get
the attracting talks in. And I presume, that will help increase the success
of the event, the projects and the ASF.

Now, I also surmise that we don't know the size of the potential audience.
We talk about 500+ members, 5000+ committers. But we are forgetting the
number of the other contributors (subscribers to dev@) participating in our
projects and the followers of our products (subscribers to user@). These
are also numbers we can use when promoting the event. Extrapolating the
ratio of members vs committers we could say 50.000+ contributors and
500.000 followers. Communicating those numbers add to the importance of the
event for sponsors, presenters and attendees.

Let's face it: the event costs... It cost effort to organise, it uses
precious ASF resources. And net-wise it should be beneficial to both the
projects and the ASF regarding supporting the projects. Meaning adding to
the budgets, or at least be cost neutral, and leading to more contributors
to the projects.

I must admit that I don't know the exact figures per event held (e.g. EU
2014, US 2013, EU and US 2012) and what has been learned and gained from
each.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: Why the Apachecon (was Re: ApacheCon NA CFP closed)

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 02/04/2015 01:04 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> Rich,
>
> There is no need to pick on OFBiz. I have organized the speakers for ACEU
> 2012, ACEU 2014 and together with Sharan interesting talks for ACNA 2015
> are lined up. Each were/are full tracks. Again for ACNA2015 I experienced
> unwillingness upfron at some parties because of skewed cost/benefit ratios.
> Nevertheless, like for ACEU 2014 we have more talks for ACNA 2015 than
> space in a track. We even have input for a panel/Q&A session, that we are
> looking into.
>
> If you (or your assisting organisation) want sponsors for such tracks, I
> suggest you/the ASF run to the names you know and start asking.

I didn't intend to offend. I picked OFBIZ *because* you've done such a
great job in the last dozen conferences, providing content and sponsors.

Sorry if that was unclear.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Pierre, Rich is not picking on anyone. He used a relative example, nothing more.

As for Rich and others in the ASF running to the names they know what do you think he and others have been doing to get the talks in that we got? If Rich (and others) didn't work so hard there would be no talks and *that* is the point.

Rich - thank you.

Ross

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Rich,

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I guess, a couple of thousand attendees would make a lot of parties happy.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
I attended Nicks sessions in Budapest - they were *excellent*. Using them as a model for Austin is to be recommended.

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 5:58 AM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> On 02/04/2015 03:42 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
>>
>> We are discussing again, as it seems to me, what the purpose of the
>> Apachecon is based on talks submitted. And why is that?
>>
>> It appears, at least to me as I have seen the discussions before, that the
>> ASF misses a clear strategy regarding the event, why we do it and what the
>> intended audience is. This should be fixed prior to opening the process
>> for
>> the next event (Apachecon EU 2015), because then it will be easier to
>> communicate, easier to invite speakers (and yes, we should do that), and
>> get everybody on board regarding helping out.
>>
>> Is the event to be considered as the bi-annual party for ourselves, where
>> we can all (all the presenters) claim how good we (as the individual) are
>> with the products of the various projects? Is it an promotion and
>> networking event? Or is it something that sits somewhere in the middle?
>> And
>> how does it fit with the strategy and other activities of the ASF Offices
>> and Projects?
>

> The conference exists to build Apache community, intra- and inter-project.
> Other goals have historically orbited that, as Nick describes - fundraising
> (in the early years), marketing of the ASF, user education (still an
> important goal). But primarily, in my mind, it exists as a way to build
> community.

That's how I've always looked at it. In a way, you can look at it as yet
another service we provide to our communities. Just like we provide
SVN, git or JIRA. IOW, this is a chance for even the smallest communities
to have something like a summit for its members.

Given how many projects we host, there's also a non-trivial residual benefit
for inter-project collaboration to be sparked. I think this is an area where we
can do better. For example, I would love to have some kind of an event
at the ApacheCON that would encourage as many folks as possible to learn
about various ASF projects. I have some ideas around running a kind of
lighting talks/reading group where each participant is randomly given an
ASF project and is required to present on it in 5 minutes or something.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Why the Apachecon (was Re: ApacheCon NA CFP closed)

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 02/04/2015 03:42 AM, Pierre Smits wrote:
> We are discussing again, as it seems to me, what the purpose of the
> Apachecon is based on talks submitted. And why is that?
>
> It appears, at least to me as I have seen the discussions before, that the
> ASF misses a clear strategy regarding the event, why we do it and what the
> intended audience is. This should be fixed prior to opening the process for
> the next event (Apachecon EU 2015), because then it will be easier to
> communicate, easier to invite speakers (and yes, we should do that), and
> get everybody on board regarding helping out.
>
> Is the event to be considered as the bi-annual party for ourselves, where
> we can all (all the presenters) claim how good we (as the individual) are
> with the products of the various projects? Is it an promotion and
> networking event? Or is it something that sits somewhere in the middle? And
> how does it fit with the strategy and other activities of the ASF Offices
> and Projects?

The conference exists to build Apache community, intra- and
inter-project. Other goals have historically orbited that, as Nick
describes - fundraising (in the early years), marketing of the ASF, user
education (still an important goal). But primarily, in my mind, it
exists as a way to build community.

Or, perhaps, to give a different response ... If the membership has a
different answer to this question, they should articulate it, and, more
importantly, step up to make it happen.

Over the years, for many, many reasons, some intentional and some the
byproduct of history, Apache conferences outside of ApacheCon have
enjoyed increasing success, and have eclipsed ApacheCon. We (the board,
the membership, various people that I have discussed this with) believe
that ApacheCon still has a role as a place where the disparate Apache
communities meet and build strong bonds between projects.

Of course not everyone agrees with this, and I'm sure that there people
who feel that ApacheCon's day is over and that we should retire it. I
know that folks think this, and I suspect that some are reluctant to say
it out loud for fear of hurting my feelings (and those of the other
people who have invested thousands of hours and more than 15 years in
this event). Frankly, if people think that, I'd rather they speak up and
make their case.

As to costs - yes, the conference costs. It costs me (and other people,
notably Jan) hours and days of my life. And it costs LF time and
financial investment to produce. These are investments that I (and
others) make because we believe that it strengthens the Foundation.

I welcome this conversation. It's important that we have it every few
years. I welcome even more people who will step up with answers, and
energy and time to make those answers into a reality. Pierre, you have
done this for Ofbiz, providing content and community excitement. What we
need is more communities to do this, both inward facing and outward
facing, as well as telling us (the ComDev list) what changes we need to
make to the event to make it more effective.

A point of history: There used to be a ConCom (Conference Committee),
and it was eventually disbanded for the simple reason that we had become
incredibly difficult for vendors to work with - the micromanagement that
Nick refers to. It turned into a single point of contact - me - to work
with LF. This doesn't mean that I don't need/want help. I desperately
need help. I am not an event expert, despite doing this for 15 years.
I'd like to see an events committee (ie, more than just ApacheCon) that
would figure out our overarching event strategy, from ApacheCon to how
we work with events like Hadoop Summit, to how we manage our presence at
events like OSCON and FOSDEM. (See new thread, later today, about
FOSDEM.) But what we don't want to see, and what the Board will shut
down, is the kind of ConCom that we had several years ago, with the
endless debates that paralyzed forward motion and pissed off numerous
fine producers. (Note here that I was on concom almost from day one, and
was part of that problem - not pointing at anyone else here.)

Posted by "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
The ASF has failed to produce a coherent ApacheCon strategy for years. That's why we killed ConCom and outsourced everything. It's not our role to define strategy. It's the producers.

The producer is relying o. Us to produce all content so what they are getting is the usual 2-3 talks for each of our 150+ projects. We end up with a conference with no coherence and potentially no compelling reason to attend.

We end up rejecting valuable talks because they describe how a particular product benefits from the ASF, so no case-studies, just deep technical talks that are only interesting to developers of that specific project. We end up with no content of general interest.

Of course I'm over stating it, its not quite that bad. However, it wont change until the producer is ready to build that missing strategy. I do understand why they are nit changing too much too quickly, but as someone who made this requirement explicit during the negotiation stage I had hoped they'd have at least given ApacheCon a vision by now. One I could communicate to speakers so that I could create a coherent track that would convince the bosses to approve travel.

Lets not go down the path of us telling LF what event they should put on. We killed ConCom because it failed to do that and restricted the producer as a result.

If someone here has a vision for a specific Apache conference the. Go ahead and do the work. ApacheCon is not the vehicle for a volunteer run event.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 4 Feb 2015, Pierre Smits wrote:
> We are discussing again, as it seems to me, what the purpose of the
> Apachecon is based on talks submitted. And why is that?

I'm not going to answer your email directly, but instead I'm going to try
to offer some background and some history, which hopefully will help a
wider/newer audience to do so, fingers crossed...

In the past, we have tried giving large amounts of direction to producers
(some might say micro-managing), along with supporting large parts of the
conference organising. The general consensus, looking back on those
events, is that the volunteer effort to conference success ratio wasn't
working. Producers struggled with it too.

In the past, we have tried putting on a large event ourselves, outside of
traditional city-centre conference hotels, with assistance from a producer
but us in charge. By some measures, we pulled it off an had a great
success! But almost everyone involved said after that it was a success
that should never be repeated... (Some varient of that might work, but
such a model hasn't been come up with so far)

We have some community members where if you say "come to our small
conference and speak and attend, tents are provided outside", they will
turn up! http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertburrelldonkin/5150859365/ has
photos of the tents from when we did that :) However, that won't work for
all of our community, and is unlikely to work for many of the people we're
looking to bring into our projects and their communities. We've asked
them, producers have asked them, and many of these folks want a nice-ish
hotel somewhere they can easily get to.

Some sponsors are happy to fund a hundred ASFers in a field or a youth
hostel. Some sponsors are willing to fund conference spaces if we come
to/near them, but that number might not be that large. Some sponsors have
indicated willing to cover travel+food+lodging for certain key people so
their staff can meet+learn from them, but no model to tap that has thus
far been proposed+accepted. Some sponsors are willing to contribute to the
cost of getting people the ASF thinks are important to our events, which
is what funds TAC. Many sponsors frequently pony up for the "traditional"
sponsorship of booths, giveaways, lunches etc at "traditional" city centre
conference hotel events.

Some want ApacheCon as an excuse to meet up with old friends. Some want
ApacheCon to learn about new projects to use or get involved in. Some want
ApacheCon to allow the foundation to explain itself to new projects +
newish committers/community members, to help the foundation grow + replace
those who leave. Some want to learn about the very latest cutting edge
things from the people who wrote the code yesterday, and want to be using
it in their solutions tomorrow. Some have heard a bit about a project or
two, and want to learn more. Some want to use the event to draw in new
users and contributor who've already heard of the project, some need the
conference to to draw in those with a problem yet to hear of the project.
Some want it to rival big events (FOSCON or Hadoop Universe type things),
others want the USP to be a pure Apache focus. Some change their mind.
Some of these things are mutually exclusive, some may require "creativity"
to combine!

In many ways, the ASF is a terrible client for a conference producer... In
some ways, we are wonderful!

I hope that helps those without the ConCom battle scars with some
background. I've tried to keep it neutral, as best as I can, but it's not
perfect. With any luck it's good enough to assist the thread

Nick