Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/04/22 17:59:56 UTC

Note on copying staged repositories

Hi,

I just copied the staged repo for the clover plugin over and I used
the following:

mvn stage:copy -Dsource="http://people.apache.org/~vmassol/maven-
staging" -Dtarget="scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/
m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository" -Dversion=2.4

Just for the folks who are going to try and copy staged repositories
in the next little while. I'll get it to figure out the version
automatically but this seems to be working well. Is fairly atomic, it
simply copies only merging the metadata, it doesn't do a redeploy.

Thanks,

Jason.

Re: Note on copying staged repositories

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 24 Apr 07, at 3:28 AM 24 Apr 07, Tomasz Pik wrote:
>
>> On 4/22/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just copied the staged repo for the clover plugin over and I used
>>> the following:
>>>
>>> mvn stage:copy -Dsource="http://people.apache.org/~vmassol/maven-
>>> staging" -Dtarget="scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/
>>> m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository" -Dversion=2.4
>>
>> Will it copy all artifacts with version=2.4 from one repository to
>> another?
>> I think that optional groupId/artifactId parameters would be useful,
>> what does others think about it?
>>

> This is a complete stopgap, and I whipped this off because I was tired
> of something going wrong during deployment and screwing up my release.
>
> This only copies a staged repository and everything in the repository
> should be copied. You can't stage a release and then only release part
> of it so I'm not sure why you would want optional groupId/artifactId
> parameters. This is not to extract a portion of a repository it copies
> it in its entirety.

I can see where this would be a useful feature. If you are in the
process of releasing several different artifacts it would be handy to be
able to select which artifact to release by supplying its
groupId/artifactId. This would do away with changing
deploy.altRepository in settings.xml for every release.

> This might be the basis of something better but this is very much
> specific to Apache for http -> scp, though it is the only combination
> that provides some degree of safety. The only thing that will ever
> provide safe and reliable releases is an application that knows how to
> accept an intact release and atomically merge it into a repository.
>
> Jason.
>
>> Regards,
>> Tomek

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Note on copying staged repositories

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Tomasz Pik <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On 23 Apr 07, at 5:40 PM 23 Apr 07, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>
>> I thought that I'd give this plugin a workout, but I ran into a couple
>> of things that has prevented me from testing it completely.
>>
>> 1. The tests seem to require that there's an scp-server available on
>> localhost. That's not the case on Windows, so no joy running the tests
>> for me.
>>

> Sorry, standard fair on OS/X and Linux.  You get to install Cywin, as
> there aren't any free Java SSH servers.

Naah, I'll just use maven.test.skip=true. We might want to document this
later on, in case somebody wants to build it themselves.

>> 2. After installing it, skipping the tests, I am not able to
>> authenticate properly to the target repo. How do I supply a different
>> username to the plugin?
>>

> Let me see if I can make it easy. All the information is in the
> settings.xml files and I know where you want to deploy it as that's in
> the POM. I'll just try to make it use the info that's normally used for
> deployments. It's the way it should work anyway. I can deploy it if you
> point me at it for now if you like.

No hurry on my part. It's the release of maven-stylus-skin that is going
out. But that doesn't really need to happen until the next doxia release
goes out. Since it's such a small release I thought it would be a good
candidate to test the stage-plugin with. I'll hold that release for a
while, if you think that you have time to look into this issue in the
near future.

> Jason.
>
>> I tried using "-Dusername=dennisl" but no luck. I get this error message:
>>   "Embedded error: Cannot connect. Reason: Auth fail"
>>
>> I guess this is a wagon thing.
>>
>> Jason van Zyl wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I just copied the staged repo for the clover plugin over and I used
>>> the following:
>>> mvn stage:copy
>>> -Dsource="http://people.apache.org/~vmassol/maven-staging"
>>> -Dtarget="scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository"
>>> -Dversion=2.4
>>> Just for the folks who are going to try and copy staged repositories
>>> in the next little while. I'll get it to figure out the version
>>> automatically but this seems to be working well. Is fairly atomic, it
>>> simply copies only merging the metadata, it doesn't do a redeploy.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jason.
>>

>> --
>> Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Note on copying staged repositories

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just copied the staged repo for the clover plugin over and I used the
> following:
>
> mvn stage:copy
> -Dsource="http://people.apache.org/~vmassol/maven-staging"
> -Dtarget="scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-rsync-repository"
> -Dversion=2.4
>
> Just for the folks who are going to try and copy staged repositories in
> the next little while. I'll get it to figure out the version
> automatically but this seems to be working well. Is fairly atomic, it
> simply copies only merging the metadata, it doesn't do a redeploy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason.

Dennis Lundberg