Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com> on 2007/02/21 04:16:21 UTC

Non-Persistent Topic not getting messages

I'm having a problem with regular, non-persistent topics not getting messages
they're sent.

The setup we have works for a while with no problem, but after a while
(today after 5 hours), one particular topic receiver stops getting any
messages.  I can clearly see in my sender's logs that messages are being
sent, but nothing is coming through.  There are other topics in the system
that are configured exactly the same way that *are* getting messages.

There are no messages in the AMQ logs indicating any kind of disconnect.

The only difference I can see is that this particular topic is getting
ObjectMessage(s), while I've switched the others to "MapMessage(s)".

Is there an issue with sending across a large number of ObjectMessage(s) ??
It seems that whenever I've used that, after a while messages stop coming
through.  This has happened a number of times now.

Thanks,
Gary

Re: [Spam: 5.0] Non-Persistent Topic not getting messages

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2/23/07, GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> When you say "client" are you talking about the client connection should
> automatically send keep-alive pings, or is this something our code has to do
> manually?

Sorry I mean that the internals of the ActiveMQ JMS Client should do
the keep-alive stuff

--

James
-------

Re: [Spam: 5.0] Non-Persistent Topic not getting messages

Posted by GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com>.

Re: Non-Persistent Topic not getting messages

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2/21/07, GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I have not looked at the JMX stats.  For whatever reason, I haven't been able
> to connect remotely to the broker.
>
> Aside from that...Why would a broker kill clients due to inactivity?

Some OSes/platforms don't detect a socket death for hours or days; so
inactivity timeouts allow the broker to be more aggressive closing
dead connections faster.

> Can
> this be configured/turned off?

Of course :) ActiveMQ is completely configurable
http://activemq.apache.org/configuring-wire-formats.html

Posted by GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com>.
Last night after it died again, I changed the usageMemory manager settings to
256 MB.  It's been up the whole night.  For completeness sake, here's the
Java process that's running:

/usr/java/jdk/bin/java -Xmx512M
-Dorg.apache.activemq.UseDedicatedTaskRunner=true
-Dderby.system.home=/opt/activemq-4.1.0/data
-Dderby.storage.fileSyncTransactionLog=true -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword=password
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=password
-Djavax.net.ssl.keyStore=/opt/activemq-4.1.0/conf/broker.ks
-Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/opt/activemq-4.1.0/conf/broker.ts -classpath
-Dactivemq.home=/opt/activemq-4.1.0 -Dactivemq.base=/opt/activemq-4.1.0 -jar
/opt/activemq-4.1.0/bin/run.jar

you can see it's 512MB for heap, and that's reflected in JMX as well.
Current the broker memory in JMX shows max at 256MB as specified, and memory
usage is 19%, up from 3% when it started out.

I'm still concerned that this is just going to continue climbing...it seems
like memory's not being released somewhere!  We're not using persistent
messages, so I can understand that more memory is being used for journaling.
But shouldn't this be getting GCed???

I'd be a real pain to have to monitor the memory use via JMX for the broker,
and have to restart the broker every 24hours.

Posted by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net>.

Posted by GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com>.
[...]

sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

Posted by GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com>.
Chris, in this specific case we're using Topics, not Queues, but I've seen
the same issue happen for Queues.   Next time it "hangs" I'll get a stack
dump and post it.  Should be sometime this evening (I've not seen it run
reliably for more then 8 hours)

Thank you.

_Gary

Posted by "Christopher G. Stach II" <cg...@ldsys.net>.

Posted by GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
There's no real difference with message types. What do the JMX stats
show in JConsole? Did the broker kill the client due to inactivity
(but maybe the client hasn't noticed yet)

On 2/21/07, GaryG <gg...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I'm having a problem with regular, non-persistent topics not getting messages
> they're sent.
>
> The setup we have works for a while with no problem, but after a while
> (today after 5 hours), one particular topic receiver stops getting any
> messages.  I can clearly see in my sender's logs that messages are being
> sent, but nothing is coming through.  There are other topics in the system
> that are configured exactly the same way that *are* getting messages.
>
> There are no messages in the AMQ logs indicating any kind of disconnect.
>
> The only difference I can see is that this particular topic is getting
> ObjectMessage(s), while I've switched the others to "MapMessage(s)".
>
> Is there an issue with sending across a large number of ObjectMessage(s) ??
> It seems that whenever I've used that, after a while messages stop coming
> through.  This has happened a number of times now.
>
> Thanks,
> Gary

James
-------