Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by roded <ro...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/20 15:11:12 UTC

Missing JPEG codecs with Batik 1.8 nightly and JDK 1.6

Hi all,
I've recently encountered issues with using Batik's TRUNK for JPEG SVG
processing (<image> tags).
Reading up on BATIK-885, and the 1.8 build script changes
(sun-codecs.present etc.); it seems to me that in my build, the sun codecs
are present (JDK = 1.6) and so the imageio codecs are not included but then
again the 1.7 JPEG entry (/ext/awt/image/codec/jpeg/*) are non existent as
well.
So in effect, my batik build is left without any RegistryEntry with which it
can decode JPEGs.

Am I missing something that should be done/implemented for Batik 1.8?
Were JPEGImageWriter and JPEGRegistryEntry removed intentionally to mandate
proprietary implementations?
(Setting the "sun-codecs.disabled" build property to true, solves this issue
by including imageio in the codecs jar, but I'm worried about the behavior
of 1.8's final release with my current env).

Any pointers would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Roded