Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com> on 2014/03/24 21:35:53 UTC

[VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Devs,

Please consider the following candidate for Accumulo 1.4.5, based on git
commit fffe84c.

Source:
http://people.apache.org/~mdrob/accumulo-1.4.5-rc1/accumulo-1.4.5-src.tar.gz
Binary:
http://people.apache.org/~mdrob/accumulo-1.4.5-rc1/accumulo-1.4.5-dist.tar.gz
Checksums available at http://people.apache.org/~mdrob/accumulo-1.4.5-rc1/

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheaccumulo-1004

The source tar was generated using:

VERSION=accumulo-1.4.5
COMMIT=fffe84c
git archive --prefix=${VERSION}/ -o ../${VERSION}-src.tar.gz $COMMIT

All other artifacts were generated using src/assemble/build.sh

Testing performed:

All unit and functional tests passed using the hadoop 1 and 2 profiles.
All functional tests passed using hadoop cdh3u6 (hadoop 1 branch)
All functional tests passed using hadoop cdh4.5.0 (hadoop 2 branch)
2x 24-hr CI test + verification passed (hadoop 1 and 2)
1x 36-hr CI test + verification with agitation passed (hadoop 2)
1x 72-hr CI test with agitation completed (hadoop 2)
2x 24-hr RW tests were run without agitation.
1x 24-hr RW test was run with agitation.

This vote will remain open for 72 hours (Until 2030 UTC, 27 Mar)

[ ] +1 - I have verified and accept these artifacts as the 1.4.5 release of
Apache Accumulo.
[ ] +0
[ ] -1 - I do not accept these artifacts as the 1.4.5 release of Apache
Accumulo because...

Thanks,
Mike

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.
Functional tests used 6faac42
CI used 6faac42 (hadoop 1) and 0f23245 (hadoop 2)
RW used 0753a75

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.
Yes.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
-1,
src/core/src/test/java/org/apache/accumulo/core/client/IteratorSettingTest.java
has no license.
Probably couldn't hurt for src/server/src/test/resources/log4j.properties
to have a license too.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.
The default profile.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Mar 26, 2014 8:48 PM, "Mike Drob" <md...@mdrob.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > - CHANGES file is incorrect. It contains fixes that were not done (2520,
> > 2523, 2500). Also, I don't think the Wikisearch related tickets should
be
> > included in CHANGES as they don't involve any code change inside of
> > Accumulo 1.4.5
> >
> > Yep. I will push version numbers on issues before generating the next
> changes set. I can also remove the Wikisearch related lines from CHANGES.

I would like feedback from Christopher and Bill S. on this and what we're
going to do about making a Wikisearch artifact to accompany the release.

As a part of including the removal of the Wikisearch code into the contrib
repo under 1.4 Christopher and I agreed that user expectations about it
being available specific to the 1.4 release would be maintained.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.
On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Overall -1 for the license issue Billie mentioned, the incorrect CHANGES,
> and the functional test failures against Apache Hadoop 2.
>
> I also had functional test failures with Hadoop 2 regarding MapReduce --
> is JobContext still an interface in cdh4 whereas it's a class in Apache? I
> would assume that 1.4 should be passing against Apache 1 and 2 versions,
> same as we would with 1.5 and 1.6?
>
> Summary of what I've done:
>
> - Successfully built src tarball.
>
> - CHANGES file is incorrect. It contains fixes that were not done (2520,
> 2523, 2500). Also, I don't think the Wikisearch related tickets should be
> included in CHANGES as they don't involve any code change inside of
> Accumulo 1.4.5
>
> Yep. I will push version numbers on issues before generating the next
changes set. I can also remove the Wikisearch related lines from CHANGES.

> - Using a tarball built by the src bundle, on Centos6.5 with OpenJDK7, I
> installed, built native maps, started, wrote some data, stopped with an
> early Hadoop 2.4 build and ZooKeeper 3.4.5
>
> - MD5 checksums are weird (generated via GPG according to Mike). They're
> not in the format I'm used to seeing:
>
> I'm used to: fae2ac91eb3553f71720d27370a992b8  accumulo-1.4.5-dist.tar.gz
> Provided: accumulo-1.4.5-dist.tar.gz: FA E2 AC 91 EB 35 53 F7  17 20 D2 73
> 70 A9 92 B8

I generated the checksums using GPG, for example "gpg --print-md MD5
accumulo-1.4.5-dist.tar.gz"
This is the same format as used in the 1.4.4 release - see
http://www.apache.org/dist/accumulo/1.4.4/accumulo-1.4.4-dist.tar.gz.md5

> - For future RCs, it would nice to provide a single file with checksums
> that can be passed directly to `md5sum -c` and `sha1sum -c`. Also, no SHA1
> sums?
>
> I will add SHA1 sums for the next RC. This was an oversight.

> - GPG sigs look good.
>
> - Verified bin tarball contains native libs. Started/stopped with same
> hadoop/zookeeper versions previously stated.
>
> - Had to update auto-tests to match the same example general.classpaths so
> they'd find Hadoop jars more reliably. Looks like some tests still don't
> pass with Hadoop2 (simple.examples.Examples fails about JobContext being a
> class instead of an interface). simple.mapreduce.MapReduceTest appears to
> have failed too.
>
> You would need to recompile with the hadoop 2 profile for those tests to
pass.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
One thing we could do is wait until somebody requests a release of a
1.4.5 compatible Wikisearch to bother. I'm not a fan of this option,
because of the change in user expectations we've previously discussed.
However, I haven't been putting any time or thought into 1.4.x to have
any better ideas.

The CHANGES file should, at the very least, reflect the change in the
packaging to drop the wikisearch example, whether or not it is
provided separately.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by William Slacum <wi...@accumulo.net>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Sean.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
It was gone over back when we discussed what level of Hadoop 2 support
would be useful in the 1.4.x line.

Since 1.4.x is on last legs, Hadoop 1 is the primary platform for it, and
the motivation for adding support is to ease upgrade matrices so more folks
would be likely to get off of 1.4, consensus was that needing a special
build would be sufficient.

The "what to use" is simple and covered in our README: you use our defaults
if you are on Hadoop 1 and just maintaining your Accumulo. If you need
Hadoop 2 you should upgrade. If you can't or don't want to upgrade Accumulo
first, there is special case handling to make 1.4 work on it.

The reflection stuff to obviate having an special build went into 1.5 in a
hurry between RCs. Frankly, I think including it would introduce
unnecessary risk to the stability of the 1.4 line for marginal benefit.

As is, ease of single artifacts is a good reason to upgrade to 1.5+.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Oh, I didn't remember that. I wouldn't hold you to it -- I see them as
separate.

Agree about related tickets.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.4.5 RC-1

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.
Addendum: The signing key is available at
http://www.apache.org/dist/accumulo/KEYS