Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Guillaume Smet <gu...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/04 15:12:58 UTC

Re: Inefficient org.apache.wicket.pageStore.DefaultPageStore.SerializedPagesCache

Hi Martin,

Some feedback you might find useful about this.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> A workaround to avoid the slowness caused by this is to set 0 or negative
> value to org.apache.wicket.settings.StoreSettings#setInmemoryCacheSize

We have a quite big application which was slow under load without us
being able to find the culprit.

I set the InmemoryCacheSize to 0 yesterday and the application is now
much more reactive.

We use a lot the disk data store as we have back links nearly
everywhere and clicking back isn't slower than before. Probably
because we couldn't set the cache too high due to memory issues and we
probably have too many users to have an effective inmemorycache with
the size we configured.

Might be useful to spread the word about it.

Thanks for your post on this subject.

--
Guillaume

Re: Inefficient org.apache.wicket.pageStore.DefaultPageStore.SerializedPagesCache

Posted by Guillaume Smet <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> The second level cache is disabled now -

Thanks Martin!

--
Guillaume

Re: Inefficient org.apache.wicket.pageStore.DefaultPageStore.SerializedPagesCache

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
The second level cache is disabled now -

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
More opinions here ?

Posted by Sven Meier <sv...@meiers.net>.
+1

Posted by Guillaume Smet <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> Maybe we should set 0 as the default cache size for 6.15.0 and explain this
> in the announcement + a blog + some tweets ?
> If an application wants to use the second level cache then it should enable
> it explicitly.

+1.

It might be useful for an application with very few users but I don't
think it makes much difference in this case to use the disk datastore
and it's definitely harmful when you have a lot of users on your app.

--
Guillaume

Re: Inefficient org.apache.wicket.pageStore.DefaultPageStore.SerializedPagesCache

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Guillaume,