Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Haisheng Yuan <hy...@apache.org> on 2022/01/07 17:32:00 UTC

[DISCUSS] Draft board report for Jan 2022

Attached below is a draft of this month's board report. I plan to submit it
on Jan 11.
Please let me know if you have additions or corrections.

Apache Calcite is a highly customizable framework for parsing and planning
queries on data in a wide variety of formats. It allows database-like
access,
and in particular a SQL interface and advanced query optimization, for data
not
residing in a traditional database.

Avatica is a sub-project within Calcite and provides a framework for
building
local and remote JDBC and ODBC database drivers. Avatica has an independent
release schedule and its own repository.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Calcite was founded 2015-10-21 (6 years ago)
There are currently 56 committers and 23 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:3.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Ruben Q L on 2020-08-09.
- Alessandro Solimando was added as committer on 2021-12-17.
- Xiong Duan was added as committer on 2021-10-18.

## Project Activity:
Calcite 1.28.0 was released on 2021-10-19, with new features including
the UNIQUE sub-query predicate, the MODE aggregate function,
PERCENTILE_CONT and PERCENTILE_DISC inverse distribution functions,
an Exasol dialect for the JDBC adapter, and improvements to
materialized view recognition.

Calcite 1.29.0 was released on 2021-12-26, which upgrades log4j2 to
2.17.0 to fix security vulnerabilities.

Calcite Avatica 1.19.0 was released on 2021-10-11, which adds support
for BIT and NULL data types, fixes issues with values of type ARRAY.

Calcite Avatica 1.20.0 was released on 2021-12-13, which upgrades Log4j2 to
version 2.15.0 (to address CVE-2021-44228), and makes the SPNEGO
protocol much more efficient.

## Community Health:
The overall activity in the community has increased slightly in the past
few months, specifically 20% more commits, 8% more closed PRs on GitHub.

There are some discussions about the proposal of changing workflow, e.g.
github issues vs JIRAs, merging Avatica with Calcite, people argued with
different opinions, but overall the discussion is good for community
development and health.

The number of non-committer (contributor) commits per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        | contributor_commits |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2021                | 10                  | 14                  |
| 2021                | 11                  | 2                   |
| 2021                | 12                  | 8                   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

The number of active reviewers per month:
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
|        year         |        month        |  active_reviewers   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+
| 2021                | 10                  | 7                   |
| 2021                | 11                  | 2                   |
| 2021                | 12                  | 5                   |
+---------------------+---------------------+---------------------+

Top reviewers in the last 3 months:
+-----------+---------------------+
| committer |       reviews       |
+-----------+---------------------+
| Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> | 7                   |
| Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com> | 4                   |
| NobiGo <no...@gmail.com> | 3                   |
| Jesus Camacho Rodriguez <je...@microsoft.com> | 3                   |
| rubenada <ru...@gmail.com> | 2                   |
| chunwei <37...@users.noreply.github.com> | 1

| Haisheng Yuan <h....@alibaba-inc.com> | 1                   |
| chunwei.lcw <ch...@alibaba-inc.com> | 1                   |
| Wang Yanlin <19...@163.com> | 1                   |
| Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> | 1                   |
+-----------+---------------------+

Thanks,
Haisheng Yuan

Re: [DISCUSS] Draft board report for Jan 2022

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@apache.org>.
Thanks Haisheng! Looks good to me.

--
Michael Mior