Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul ANDERSON <pa...@wataniya-algerie.com> on 2007/10/01 11:53:33 UTC

RE: Tomcat 5.5.25 -> 6.0.14 upgrade problem

Hi,
I had a problem before with this upgrade scenario using the Oracle
drivers, and asked the list. I was asked if the JAR was in
$CATALINA_HOME/lib - it was - no further ideas.
I have never had a problem before with JDK 4 or 5 on TC5.5, just with
JDK6 and TC6, so I temporarily abandoned my upgrade.
I only had the problem with *cross-context* webapp invocations, in this
case via Liferay's WAR. Maybe that's significant. If I used a JSP for
JNDI lookup and requested the page directly, with the DBCP kit in
WEB-INF/lib, all was OK.
Here's my message again:

When doing cross-context invocations of a portlet in Liferay that
references container-managed Datasources by JNDI, I get:-

Cannot load JDBC driver class 'oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver'

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

The driver JAR was in <SERVER>/lib. ($CATALINA_HOME/lib)

When I put dbcp, commons-pool and the driver JAR in the portlet WAR file
and create the Datasource myself, no problem.

When looking up the container Datasource directly from a JSP (no
cross-context webapp invocation), no problem.

I tried upgrading to a later JDK 6 Oracle 11i driver, but no luck, the
problem was not specific to Oracle's driver version.

Other people have had classloading problems too, and said it's a bug in
TC6 with use of Class.forName()

So I stuck with TC5.5 on JDK 5 for the moment - the problem's blocking
our upgrade path.

Is this a known fault with TC6 that will be fixed?

RE: Tomcat 5.5.25 -> 6.0.14 upgrade problem

Posted by aku1234 <au...@cs.stanford.edu>.
Thanks for telling me about your issue.  I experimented unsuccessfully with
different locations for the jar files in Tomcat 6.

Glassfish v2 is now stable.  I was able to use that without running into
the JNDI problems that I had with Tomcat 6.