Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Struts Two <st...@yahoo.ca> on 2009/06/23 22:07:38 UTC

Struts FilterDispatcher issue with regard to specification 2.4

Hello All:

In Servlet specification 2.4 filters are not supposed to be accessed directly as a resource. And anything other than a jsp page need to have a Servlet mapping in order to make it accessible (as per specification).

Struts 1 had ActionServlet which allowed for servlet mapping of *.action or *.do which could in turn be picked up by Websphere Applicton Server duing plugin generation to be used for http webserver.

However, in struts 2 filter mapping for *.action or *.do will not work anymore during plugin generation as it is not supported per 2.4 specification. This would make the application unaccessible though Http server.

I was wondering if someone can explain to me the rational to use DispatchFilter as opposed to a DispatchServlet in struts 2.