Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Simon Chan <si...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/18 21:00:00 UTC

Introducing PredictionIO: A developer-friendly Mahout stack for production

Hi,

After a year of work, I would like to present PredictionIO project (
https://github.com/PredictionIO) to this community.

When a few of us were doing PhD study, Mahout was the de facto Java package
that we used in many research work. This is a very powerful algorithm
library, yet we see that something needs to be done to make it more
accessible to developers in production environment.

Therefore, we started the idea of PredictionIO, which adds a
developer-friendly REST API, a web admin UI and an integrated
infrastructure on top of Mahout. The project is still at its early stage.
CF algorithm libraries of Mahout is supported currently.

*REST API and SDK* in Python, Ruby, Java, PHP, Node.js etc
Through the API layer, which supports both sync and asycn call, users can:

- Record data
  A sample SDK call:
* cli.identify("John")*
* cli.record_action_on_item("view", "Mahout Page 1")*

- Query recommendation in real-time
  A sample GEO-based recommendation query:
* r = cli.get_itemrec_topn("myEngine", 5, {"pio_latlng":[37.9, 91.2]})*

*Web Admin UI*
Through the UI, users can:
- conduct algorithm evaluation with metrics such as MAP@k
- deploy / switch algorithm on production
- adjust recommendation preferences, such as Freshness, Serendipity,
Unseen-only filter etc

*Integrated Infrastructure*
PredictionIO helps users link Mahout, Hadoop, data store and job scheduler
etc together. The whole stack can be installed and configured in minutes.
It takes care of a lot of production issues, such as model re-training with
new data and prediction result indexing.

We are working hard to make it extremely easy for developers to build
Machine Learning into web and apps. Hopefully, PredictionIO can get Mahout
into the hands of a wider audience.

Love to hear your feedback. If you are interested in the project, just
remember that contributors are always welcome!

Regards,
Simon

Re: Introducing PredictionIO: A developer-friendly Mahout stack for production

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
AGPL is a complete show-stopper for contributions even for dependencies.
 Apache software can't critically depend on GPL components of any sort.

As such, it doesn't make any sense to have components of Mahout designed to
run only on a server that is AGPL.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 7:36 AM, Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com> wrote:

> Read the AGPL carefully before deciding. It is widely avoided by OSS
> projects. It’s interpreted to infect your derived works with obligations
> you may not want to live with. There is probably a question about whether
> they can even enforce it given they could be said to be derived from
> Mahout, which is an Apache 2 license.

Apache licenses are fine for inclusion in *GPL works.

It is the reverse that is problematic.  Apache licenses allow you to do
pretty much whatever you want except call your modified product by the name
Mahout.

Assuming that is solved It might be a good package for a PHP dev to start
> with.

And that would be a great thing.

Nothing says that the license on prediction.io needs to change.  AGPL may
be a good thing for it.  But it can't be part of Mahout and keep that
license.  Being part of Mahout and being Apache licensed is also a bad
thing if the developers of prediction.io are worried about somebody
stealing their work and making it closed source and not giving back.

This is a very important decision to make and it isn't just something to do
just for fashion or to be part of a group, especially if you are thinking
that you want to make a living with it.

Re: Introducing PredictionIO: A developer-friendly Mahout stack for production

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
Read the AGPL carefully before deciding. It is widely avoided by OSS projects. It’s interpreted to infect your derived works with obligations you may not want to live with. There is probably a question about whether they can even enforce it given they could be said to be derived from Mahout, which is an Apache 2 license.

Assuming that is solved It might be a good package for a PHP dev to start with.

I haven’t used it, only quickly looked at it.

On Mar 21, 2014, at 5:54 AM, Christopher Eugene <xr...@gmail.com> wrote:

This a great idea/project! I am primarily a PHP developer and was wondering
how I would use mahout in a project that I have had in mind for a while.
Thank you for this. Whatever changes I make if any I will give back. Keep
up the good work.

Omar Christopher Eugene
http://about.me/mojo706

Re: Introducing PredictionIO: A developer-friendly Mahout stack for production

Posted by Christopher Eugene <xr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon Chan <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pat Ferrel <pa...@occamsmachete.com>.
I looked at the docs and the AGPL for the server is a problem for me—maybe even a blocker. Since the SDK is useless without the server, this may be a problem for you.

Posted by Simon Chan <si...@gmail.com>.
Dear Piero,

The AGPL is to encourage people who develop on PredictionIO contributes
back to the open community, even though they are using it to offer cloud
services. We are seriously looking into the possibility of making custom
engines/algorithms separated from the main server code, so that they don't
need to follow AGPL.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions or requirement in terms
of licensing, please contact PredictionIO team and we'll try to work it out.

Regards,
Simon

Posted by Piero Giacomelli <pg...@gmail.com>.
Dear Bertrand