Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/10/31 00:09:54 UTC

[OT] reading archives...

Hi gang,

I spent an hour or so reading the mail archives from the period in which
I just got started here at avalon (march 2001). Its fun looking back a
little.

For example, what I saw back there includes me proposing some relatively
massive refactorings of the phoenix internals, and then acknowledging in
the same e-mail that multi-threading was a bit of a "new frontier" for
me, so someone should be double-checking the commit. Real fun,
especially as both Peter and Paul went over some commits 2 times,
removing various mistakes.

Among other lost gems in there is my first-ever-to-be-commercially-used
java app, XCommander (filling a gap long since taken by big
multi-thousand-dollar application servers), the beginnings of an
ant-based multi-project reactor, and me launching various complaints at
Steve for writing English I had more trouble reading than java (some
stuff never changes :P).

Its fun. Some of the code I committed in the first few months still
remains in avalon in one form or another, and no bug has ever been found
in most of it. The avalon mailing list archive tracks my learning curve
as a java developer, and shows I had as big a mouth then as I do now...

Looking at myself from a distance now, the only guideline to be found
for new committers: be dash, jump right in, mess things up thoroughly,
speak your mind. Oh, and work on docs, it gets you credits for when you
mess up :D

To round of a bit of leasury browsing, courtesy of archive.org, our
website in june 2001:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010603120145/http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/

hehehe.

g'night!

- LSD

<java:sig>
	About LSD  = new PersonalInfo();
	LSD.name("Leo Simons");
	LSD.email("mail@leosimons.com");
	LSD.URL( [
		http://www.leosimons.com, // personal website
		http://jicarilla.sf.net   // pet programming project
	] );
	LSD.quote("Buh!");
	email.setSig(LSD.toString());
</java:sig>

Re: [OT] reading archives...

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Leo Simons wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> I spent an hour or so reading the mail archives from the period in
> which I just got started here at avalon (march 2001). Its fun looking
> back a little.
>
> For example, what I saw back there includes me proposing some
> relatively massive refactorings of the phoenix internals, and then
> acknowledging in the same e-mail that multi-threading was a bit of a
> "new frontier" for me, so someone should be double-checking the
> commit. Real fun, especially as both Peter and Paul went over some
> commits 2 times, removing various mistakes.
>
> Among other lost gems in there is my
> first-ever-to-be-commercially-used java app, XCommander (filling a gap
> long since taken by big multi-thousand-dollar application servers),
> the beginnings of an ant-based multi-project reactor, and me launching
> various complaints at Steve for writing English I had more trouble
> reading than java (some stuff never changes :P).

**%$*

> Its fun. Some of the code I committed in the first few months still
> remains in avalon in one form or another, and no bug has ever been
> found in most of it. The avalon mailing list archive tracks my
> learning curve as a java developer, and shows I had as big a mouth
> then as I do now...

Yep!

;-)

Cheers, Steve.
(look - no mistakes)

> Looking at myself from a distance now, the only guideline to be found
> for new committers: be dash, jump right in, mess things up thoroughly,
> speak your mind. Oh, and work on docs, it gets you credits for when
> you mess up :D
>
> To round of a bit of leasury browsing, courtesy of archive.org, our
> website in june 2001:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20010603120145/http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/
>

> hehehe.
>
> g'night!
>
> - LSD
>
> <java:sig>
>     About LSD  = new PersonalInfo();
>     LSD.name("Leo Simons");
>     LSD.email("mail@leosimons.com");
>     LSD.URL( [
>         http://www.leosimons.com, // personal website
>         http://jicarilla.sf.net   // pet programming project
>     ] );
>     LSD.quote("Buh!");
>     email.setSig(LSD.toString());
> </java:sig>

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

RE: [OT] reading archives...

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Leo Simons
>
> I had as big a mouth then as I do now...
>
> Looking at myself from a distance now, the only guideline to be found
> for new committers: be dash, jump right in, mess things up thoroughly,

> speak your mind.

Similar to "if you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with
bullshit". Excellent guideline.

+1

/LS