Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com.INVALID> on 2017/05/19 08:53:48 UTC

"Modified Apache 2.0 License"

Hi all

Just stumbled up this „Modified Apache 2.0 License“: https://github.com/wg/wrk/blob/master/LICENSE

Is there anything to be done about this ?

Regards
Felix

Re: "Modified Apache 2.0 License"

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
A good question. Since that is a private list I am forwarding.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

From: Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>>
Date: Friday, May 19, 2017 at 2:08 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<ma...@apache.org>" <le...@apache.org>>

Just stumbled up this „Modified Apache 2.0 License“: https://github.com/wg/wrk/blob/master/LICENSE<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fwg%2Fwrk%2Fblob%2Fmaster%2FLICENSE&data=02%7C01%7C%7C751be93446e14f06647608d49ec274c2%7Cfa7b1b5a7b34438794aed2c178decee1%7C0%7C0%7C636308005408815756&sdata=by%2FL%2FXeseIV4GW4Ss1gu6OeU5G504SILeI2xbTCTG4A%3D&reserved=0>

From: Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>
Date: Friday, May 19, 2017 at 2:08 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <le...@apache.org>

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Roman Shaposhnik wrote on Fri, 19 May 2017 10:16 -0700:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 2:34 AM, Mark Struberg
> <st...@yahoo.de.invalid> wrote:
> > Imo it should not call itself Modified Apache 2.0 License. It should not contain the term "Apache" in the license name at all.
>
> I'm ambivalent on this, but any rate it ain't a legal issue -- it is a (tm) one.

Almost makes one want to license the ALv2 under the Artistic License, doesn't it?

[[[
    c) give non-standard executables non-standard names, and clearly
    document the differences in manual pages (or equivalent), together
    with instructions on where to get the Standard Version.
]]]

Re: "Modified Apache 2.0 License"

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
GitHub didn't mark it as Apache, the authors selected Apache as the license
when pushing the project to GitHub.

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
(Note mixed lists)

Separately, I've opened an issue with the Licensee code that GitHub uses
to display "this repo is licensed" data, since having both a modified
title as well as additional restrictions is something that Github should
make clearer.

  https://github.com/benbalter/licensee/issues/192

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: "Modified Apache 2.0 License"

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
(legal-discuss@ -> bcc; to: =+ trademarks@)

Roman Shaposhnik wrote on 5/19/17 1:16 PM:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 2:34 AM, Mark Struberg
> <st...@yahoo.de.invalid> wrote:
>> Imo it should not call itself Modified Apache 2.0 License. It should not contain the term "Apache" in the license name at all.
>
> I'm ambivalent on this, but any rate it ain't a legal issue -- it is a (tm) one.
>
> Hence this question should go to Shane.

Please - use the appropriate *list*, especially the week many of us are
traveling back from ApacheCon.  That way all the relevant people can see
it, and any discussion and resolution gets into the archive.

Any trademarks questions should go to trademarks@apache.org, which is
privately archived and read by the Brand Committee as well as other members.

Thanks,
- Shane
--

- Shane (going to sleep... v. long day)

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de.INVALID>.
Imo it should not call itself Modified Apache 2.0 License. It should not contain the term "Apache" in the license name at all.

It might use another name and as first sentence explain that it is based on the ALv2 with exception of section (e).

Just my personal .02 of course.

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote on 5/19/17 4:53 AM:
> Hi all
>
> Just stumbled up this „Modified Apache 2.0 License“: https://github.com/wg/wrk/blob/master/LICENSE

Question: before this question, has anyone reading this list ever seen,
or heard of anyone being confused by, one of these "Modified Apache
License"s anywhere?

See also:

  http://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv/license.html

This "Modified" version is reproduced in a number of graphical
processing software packages, likely related to Pixar's use.  It simply
replaces section 6, by subtly changing the wording twice.

* Apache (original)
6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade
names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor,
except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the
origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.

* Pixar (modified)
6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade
names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor and
its affiliates, except as required to comply with Section 4(c) of the
License and to reproduce the content of the NOTICE file.

- Pixar adds "...and its affiliates" after Licensor, which seems wholly
superfluous since no trademark rights are granted anywhere anyways.

- Pixar changes from our "...for reasonable and customary use in
describing the origin of the Work" into their own "...to comply with
Section 4(c) of the License".  I can see some lawyers believing that
this makes the trademark carve-out stricter and more precise.  But
again, since no trademark rights are granted elsewhere in the license,
this also seems superfluous.