Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by burberry blues <bl...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/13 01:04:11 UTC

Datameer Usage and Applicability

Hi Hadoopers

I have heard about Datameer that it can be used to retrieve the data from
Hadoop file system(HDFS) and display in excel file easily.

Apart from this is there anything with datameer that makes it the choice to
go far. I am not familiar at all with Datameer hence ignorant.
Any information on this is welcome.

Thanks,
Burberry

Re: Datameer Usage and Applicability

Posted by Robert Tucker <r....@gmail.com>.
You should really checkout the videos on their website. It should give you
a pretty good idea of the type of things you can do with Datameer:
http://www.datameer.com/learn/videos.html

Thanks,

Robert Tucker

Posted by Robert Tucker <r....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anurag Tangri <an...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Burberry,
Here are the reasons why people would go with datameer:

1. They don't want to learn how map-reduce jobs are written but just create excel like sheets in a workbook and run it.
2. They have analysts/ user base who understand excel and want only excel like interface and want to use Hadoop.
3. They want to create dashboards and Graphs using the workbooks they ran using datameer, in datameer.
4. Datameer does provide integration with hive.
5. It allows to import data in datameer or run jobs against data on HDFS. Though performance is claimed to be better if Data is brought in datameer, not staying in HDFS.
6. It lets you get data in for creating workbooks from different sources like HDFS, ssh from a server, database etc.

Thanks,
Anurag Tangri

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Anurag Tangri <an...@yahoo.com>.