Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by anuvenk <an...@hotmail.com> on 2008/01/05 10:05:00 UTC

phrase slop param in dismax handler

How does adding a phrase slop in the handler help?
I tried ps=25 along with some pf values. I assumed that it means this..for
eg: a search term, 'child custody battle' means documents which have the
words 'child','custody','battle' within 25 words of one another will rank
high. Is that correct?

Re: phrase slop param in dismax handler

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: How does adding a phrase slop in the handler help?
: I tried ps=25 along with some pf values. I assumed that it means this..for
: eg: a search term, 'child custody battle' means documents which have the
: words 'child','custody','battle' within 25 words of one another will rank
: high. Is that correct?

basically yes.  dismax takes all of the words in your query and builds an
"optional" PhraseQuery clause out of them for each of your pf fields ...
the "slop" of a phrase query is how far about the words can be and still
count as a match.  if the words are really close, they'll increase
the score more then if they are farther apart, but the "ps" is the cut off
point (any farther then that nad they don't improve hte score at all.

-Hoss

Re: phrase slop param in dismax handler

Posted by anuvenk <an...@hotmail.com>.
The lower ps , the better or vice versa? I'm guessing lower. I think that'll
make the search stricter. Is it correct?