Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@bea.com> on 2008/01/08 20:07:45 UTC

RE: EclipseLink DAS and JPA

Hello Doug,
  Thank you for your interest. I strongly concur with your view on
aligning a SDO DAS solution with JPA. In fact, to make my position
clear:
       "SDO should use JPA for persistence service and should *not*
define another persistence API. If current JPA does not provide adequate
support for SDO persistence then SDO community should approach JPA
community to include new API (or semantics on existing API) rather than
building a separate persistence API on its own. If SDO API does require
additions to work with JPA then these requirements are to be factored in
SDO specification."

   I explored this view via Fluid [1] which is an Apache Lab project
signifying its exploratory approach. Fluid through a prototype
implementation establishes the feasibility of such an approach without
any modification to JPA. The only accommodation I had to make is in
interpreting the oid argument of EntityManager.find() method
                 public <T> T find(Class<T> cls, Object oid)
because of the templated signature, cls is always DataObject.class and
the exact DataObject type has to be coded via oid argument.

In course of this work, I had also underlined the current limitations of
SDO from a persistence perspective (e.g. lack of clear definition of
persistent identity or version fields) which I believe should be taken
up by SDO community.

Tuscany had implemented a candidate API for SDO DAS. It is not what I
liked, but Fluid demonstrated how even Tuscany DAS can be emulated
rather easily [4].

While I have seen individuals using Fluid found it intuitive and easy,
so far institutional/community support has not been forthcoming. But I
sincerely believe that approach proposed/demonstrated in Fluid will gain
traction over time. In that regard your interest on behalf of
EclipseLink is reassuring. I also believe that given the cross-community
nature of this approach wider participation will be helpful to arrive at
a solution that is simple, elegant and promotes non-proliferation of API
(hence ccing to some other people/dev/expert groups).

More information on Fluid can be found at
[1] Fluid Website:
http://people.apache.org/~ppoddar/fluid/site/welcome.html
<http://people.apache.org/~ppoddar/fluid/site/welcome.html>
 A series of blogs where I ramble about it
[2]
http://dev2dev.bea.com/blog/pinaki.poddar/archive/2007/07/persisting_ser
v.html
<http://dev2dev.bea.com/blog/pinaki.poddar/archive/2007/07/persisting_se
rv.html>
[3]
http://dev2dev.bea.com/blog/pinaki.poddar/archive/2007/07/persisting_ser
v_1.html
<http://dev2dev.bea.com/blog/pinaki.poddar/archive/2007/07/persisting_se
rv_1.html>
[4]
http://dev2dev.bea.com/blog/pinaki.poddar/archive/2007/08/openjpa_implem
e.html
<http://dev2dev.bea.com/blog/pinaki.poddar/archive/2007/08/openjpa_imple
me.html>

Regards --

Pinaki

________________________________

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I've been thinking for a bit that it would be worth investigating if
the proposed java-ldap object mapping service could be implemented as
a new backend to openjpa.  This DAS-JPA link suggests to me that
there would be additional advantages to doing so.

thanks
david jencks

Begin forwarded message:

Re: EclipseLink DAS and JPA

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Not sure if we want to replace, but maybe have a JPA DAS based on
fluid and let the community decide witch one they want to use. BTW, I
have already suggested Pinaki to continue Fluid development in Tuscany
[1], maybe I could approach him again.

Thoughts ?

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg21176.html

Luciano Resende