Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2018/09/21 07:20:07 UTC

[VOTE] Move Tiles to the Apache Attic

Please vote on the proposal to move Apache Tiles to the Apache Attic.

[+1] Move Tiles to the Attic
[ 0] Don't care
[-1] Don't move Tiles to the Attic.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

regards,
Mick

Re: [VOTE] Move Tiles to the Apache Attic

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
+1 - I think it's time.

(I debated +0 not because I don't _care_ but because I'm not really
able to help do the work.  But as I think I'm officially still on the
PMC I'll go ahead and vote yes.)

-Wendy

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.
Scot,
 Antonio is correct. The project residing in the Attic will really just mean it becomes more like just another GitHub project.

It's appreciated that you still use it and want it around. And i'll be happy to review pull requests /commits. Just that they won't be getting released and voted on under the Apache-blessed processes. But I'm guessing you can build your own builds easily enough.

regards,
Mick

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "meyer_scot@yahoo.com.INVALID" <me...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Nick, Mick, Antonio, et al,Thanks for chiming in.  I like Nick's response to the community at large  It may be time, and I certainly haven't contributed in a long long time or used it in any recent project.  I don't think my vote changes the outcome either way and probably leaning more towards +1 just due to the comments from the dev team.
Scot

    On Monday, September 24, 2018, 5:55:04 PM CDT, Nicolas Le Bas <ma...@nlebas.net> wrote:

 +1

I do not think a suitable replacement is usually considered a criteria
for moving to the attic, as per https://attic.apache.org/.

However to Scot's point, I would agree that we, as a PMC, may make some
kind of official statement about why Tiles is moving to the attic, why
it is loosing traction, and perhaps recommend one or several
alternative solutions depending on context.

Here's my shot at it, from personal experience:

In the context of a web application, I've not implemented an MVC
controller / view template on the backend for some time. Nowadays this
component belong in the browser, with at RESTful API behind it.
Definitely Angular (http://angular.io/) and React (https://reactjs.org/
) are market leaders at the moment.

Templating in Java in recent years: I've seen it used for code
generation. A couple popular examples are VertX (http://vertx.io) or
jenkin's Code DSL Plugin (https://github.com/jenkinsci/job-dsl-plugin/w
iki). I've heard it's being used for mobile (Android) apps, too, but
I'm no expert in that area.

However the developers in these cases seem happy to use the composing
technology that comes with their chosen templating engine (MVEL,
Velocity, Freemarker, Groovy, ...). They try and keep it simple and
apply the Dependency Injection to the generated code. Tiles would apply
DI to the template themselves, but I do think the developers feel the
need to do that.

My 2 cents,
Nick

Posted by Nicolas Le Bas <ma...@nlebas.net>.
+1

Posted by Scot Meyer <me...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
-1

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
I second Wendy's addendum:

"(I debated +0 not because I don't _care_ but because I'm not really
able to help do the work.  But as I think I'm officially still on the
PMC I'll go ahead and vote yes.)"

I care, but can't help and have no interest in overriding opinions of those
who are actually active and involved. Tiles is legacy to me.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
+1

[RESULT] [VOTE] Move Tiles to the Apache Attic

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

With four binding +1s and two non-binding +1s, the vote passes to move Apache Tiles to the Attic.

The next step is to raise the resolution in the next board report.
https://attic.apache.org/process.html

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

> Please vote on the proposal to move Apache Tiles to the Apache Attic.
>

> [+1] Move Tiles to the Attic
> [ 0] Don't care
> [-1] Don't move Tiles to the Attic.

+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Move Tiles to the Apache Attic

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
Hello
I am emeritus, so I cast a +1 vote, although non binding.

Antonio