Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/10/27 04:22:52 UTC

[heads-up] JXPath upgraded (Was: svn commit: r328770)

I finally managed a workaround for issue FOR-675.
The JXPath has been upgraded and tested with both the
current "skins" and the new structurer (views v2) plugins.

Thorsten, does this mean that we can finally encourage devs
to use the new whiteboard plugins, or is there another holdup?

-David

> Author: crossley
> Date: Wed Oct 26 19:06:08 2005
> New Revision: 328770

> Log:
> Workaround to Issue FOR-675:
> "upgrading to commons-jxpath-1.2.jar causes failures
> with linkrewriter protocols site: etc."
> This workaround removes the default namespace from site.xml
> before the Cocoon input modules read it.
> Upgraded from commons-jxpath-20030909 to commons-jxpath-1.2
>
> Added:
>     forrest/trunk/lib/core/commons-jxpath-1.2.jar   (with props)
>     forrest/trunk/lib/core/commons-jxpath-1.2.jar.license.txt
>       - copied, changed from r328762, forrest/trunk/lib/core/commons-jxpath-20030909.jar.license.txt
> Removed:
>     forrest/trunk/lib/core/commons-jxpath-20030909.jar
>     forrest/trunk/lib/core/commons-jxpath-20030909.jar.license.txt
> Modified:
>     forrest/trunk/main/webapp/resources/stylesheets/site-to-book.xsl
>     forrest/trunk/main/webapp/sitemap.xmap
[ snip ]

Re: [heads-up] JXPath upgraded (Was: svn commit: r328770)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 07:51 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > I finally managed a workaround for issue FOR-675.
> > The JXPath has been upgraded and tested with both the
> > current "skins" and the new structurer (views v2) plugins.
>
> I'm amazed at (and extremely grateful for) the amount of work people
> have put into this.
>
> Thanks you.

+ 1 million

I could not have said it better. Thx especially David and Antonio, that
spend a *lot of time* for solving this problem. :)

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [heads-up] JXPath upgraded (Was: svn commit: r328770)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> I finally managed a workaround for issue FOR-675.
> The JXPath has been upgraded and tested with both the
> current "skins" and the new structurer (views v2) plugins.

I'm amazed at (and extremely grateful for) the amount of work people
have put into this.

Thanks you.

Ross

Re: Roadmap for v2 (was Re: [heads-up] JXPath upgraded )

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 20:07 +0800, Gav.... escribió:
> [...]

:)

> Not sure about the Orange for the menu background in  /samples/ :)

Actually that is the default pelt css (without color profiling
activated). We need to change that in the pelt.*.css. The rest of the
site is using the new color-theme contracts and is rendered after the
forrest color scheme.

I can remember when I developed the original pelt.css (old fashion skin)
that I used the orange/black to see whether the color theming was
working, or not.

Can you submit a patch for having some decent colors. ;-)

> Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere that 'forrest seed-v2' is what is
> needed.

Yes, or
cd $FORREST_HOME/main/template-sites/v2; forrest run
http://localhost:8888/

> Also, when doing a static 'forrest site' from the v2 seed, that the debug is
> turned
> on and a socket is opened at :8000, this is obviously not needed when doing
> static site (I wouldn't have thought) so should this be commented out in
> forrest.properties by default or not ?
>
> # Debug forrest on PORT 8000
>  forrest.jvmargs=-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=8000,server=y,suspend=n

Hmm, yes you are right, before releasing v2 we need to comment it out
again. I prefer to leave it like this right now, because I am developing
some transformer/generator and this option let me debug the new
classes.

> Great work everyone.

Thx for the feedback Gav. :)

salu2

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.
Thorsten Scherler a écrit :

>El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 13:17 -0400, Addi escribió:
>

>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>>Nice work again Cyriaque. :) I just finished what you have started. When
>>>I creates the pelt.fv it was for http://lenya.apache.org/ and the colors
>>>should always have been like that. Now they are, thx to your excellent
>>>work. :) Still the round-corner issue remains.
>>>
>>>salu2
>>>

>>Sorry if this is stupid, I am just (this hour) beginning to play with
>>the views stuff.  A non-css v2 question: why are there two sets of
>>different breadcrumbs?

It was originally like this in the pelt skin.
Several parts of the page such as breadcrumbs, search box, credits,
minitoc... had the ability to be configured through the skinconf file in
order to be displayed in different places.
For instance for the breadcrumbs in the skinconf it was possible to
choose the location and the stylesheet use this attribute to select the
place to display it :
<!--

 Some skins use this to form a 'breadcrumb trail' of links.
    Use location="alt" to move the trail to an alternate location
    (if the skin supports it).
	  Omit the location attribute to display the trail in the default location.
	  Use location="none" to not display the trail (if the skin supports it).
    For some skins just set the attributes to blank.

-->
- <#> <trail location="*none*">
  <link1 name="*myGroup*" href="" />
  <link2 name="*myProject*" href="" />
  <link3 name="" href="" />
  </trail>

Now, with the skin, there is no skinconf, so I added these parts at
different place and the customiser just have to comment out the ones he
doesn't want to display...

Salutations,
Cyriaque,

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
| El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 13:17 -0400, Addi escribió:
| > Thorsten Scherler wrote:

| > >Nice work again Cyriaque. :) I just finished what you have started.
When
| > >I creates the pelt.fv it was for http://lenya.apache.org/ and the
colors
| > >should always have been like that. Now they are, thx to your excellent
| > >work. :) Still the round-corner issue remains.
| > >
| > >salu2
| > >

| > Sorry if this is stupid, I am just (this hour) beginning to play with
| > the views stuff.  A non-css v2 question: why are there two sets of
| > different breadcrumbs?
| >

| Cyriaque provided the initial version of the pelt theme and submitted it
| like this. I reckon testing reason, but better Cyriaque speak for
| himself. ;-)

On testing, it seems the first lot is in hook:container - <div
id="container">
and the second is in hook:page <div id="page">

There are quite a few others with two sets, not just the breadcrumbs. (logos
etc)

container only affects the main site index.html page
page affects all other pages except index.html page.

>From what I've seen so far anyway, but I cant see why you would
want the main index to be any different from the rest of the site ?

Gav...

For more information please visit http://linux.bitdefender.com/

Re: Roadmap for v2 (was Re: [heads-up] JXPath upgraded )

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Addi <ad...@rocktreesky.com>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 16:11 +0200, Cyriaque Dupoirieux escribió:
>

>>Gav... if you have time, can you make a test with the css I recently
>>updated.
>>normally, default colors for pelt theme should be good without using the
>>branding-theme-profiler contract...
>>
>>Cyriaque,
>>

>Nice work again Cyriaque. :) I just finished what you have started. When
>I creates the pelt.fv it was for http://lenya.apache.org/ and the colors
>should always have been like that. Now they are, thx to your excellent
>work. :) Still the round-corner issue remains.
>
>salu2

Sorry if this is stupid, I am just (this hour) beginning to play with
the views stuff.  A non-css v2 question: why are there two sets of
different breadcrumbs?

- Addi

Re: Roadmap for v2 (was Re: [heads-up] JXPath upgraded )

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.

Re: speeding up the static build (Was: Roadmap for v2)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
CFAS Webmaster wrote:
> Gav / David,
>
>  Where does cli.xconf go for a site outside the forrest tree?  I have
> it in {project_root}/src/documentation/conf/cli.xconf.  The uncommented
> area for checksums reads like this:
>
>   <checksums-uri>build/tmp/checksums</checksums-uri>
>
> I changed it from build/work because I don't have one (yet).  Forrestbot
> isn't behaving for me, but that's another message...
>
> I don't see checksums in build/tmp.  Do I need to "touch checksums"
> there for it to be found?  This site is being generated by Forrest v0.7,
> does that make a difference?

http://forrest.apache.org/docs/faq.html#cli-xconf

Declare it in forrest.properties otherwise it uses
the default one in Forrest main/webapp/WEB-INF

See our site-author for an example.

-David

Re: speeding up the static build (Was: Roadmap for v2)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Gav.... wrote:
> > Gav.... wrote:

> > | Nothing recent that I can see,
>
> I found it. Not in Jira, but an old discussion in the
> mail archives. It was a broader topic, checksums was
> just part of it.
>  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=112357127600001
>  Re: Reducing Forrest build time
>
> > | I will uncomment out the line
> > | that reads <checksums-uri>build/work/checksums</checksums-uri>
> > | in the cli.xconf (site-author ?) , I guess I don't need to do anything
> > else
> > | ?
> >
> > Nothing else needs doing, this works fine.
> >
> > I did a 'forrest site' to an unchanged site and it took 3:55
> >
> > I then enabled the checksums and did 'forrest site' again
> > it took over 4 minutes - during this time I guess the checksums
> > are at work.
> >
> > I then did a 'forrest site' again and it took 2:50 and correctly
> > skipped all files.
>
> Thanks for getting this clarified Gav.
> Yes, similar numbers for me, very impressive.
> That is a 20% speedup.

Grrr, got too excited and spoke too soon. I now reckon
that this speedup might be due to the Cocoon cache.

Try this ...
cd forrest-trunk/site-author
forrest clean
forrest
... took 4:41
forrest
... took 3:35
now enable checksums in site-author/conf/cli.xconf
forrest
... took 3:38 ... all files were generated.
forrest
... took 3:37 ... only changed files were written.

See Ferdinand's discussion about checksums and then caching:

-David

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by CFAS Webmaster <we...@cfas.org>.
Gav / David,

  Where does cli.xconf go for a site outside the forrest tree?  I have
it in {project_root}/src/documentation/conf/cli.xconf.  The uncommented
area for checksums reads like this:

   <checksums-uri>build/tmp/checksums</checksums-uri>

I changed it from build/work because I don't have one (yet).  Forrestbot
isn't behaving for me, but that's another message...

I don't see checksums in build/tmp.  Do I need to "touch checksums"
there for it to be found?  This site is being generated by Forrest v0.7,
does that make a difference?

Thanks!
-Paul

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 18:39 +0800, Gav.... escribió:
> [...]

:)

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

[ANN] v2 testing released (was Re: Roadmap for v2)

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
Please use v2 instead of v1 from now on. You will need to read the new
dispatcher HowTos to know how to update. Basically we changed the way we
include nuggets. e.g.
-        <url>/feeds/somefeed.xml</url>
+        <jx:import uri="/feeds/somefeed.xml"/>

v1 will be removed very soon.

El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 12:10 +0200, Thorsten Scherler escribió:
> El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 12:22 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> > I finally managed a workaround for issue FOR-675.
> > The JXPath has been upgraded and tested with both the
> > current "skins" and the new structurer (views v2) plugins.
> >
> > Thorsten, does this mean that we can finally encourage devs
> > to use the new whiteboard plugins, or is there another holdup?
>
> Some major things have to be changed before we can officially recommend
> v2:
> - move images from resources/skin to the themes/

This issue is not yet 100% resolved but we will be able to solve this
issue with standalone contracts.

> - rename default to common

done

> - update the howtos

> Other open points for v2:
> - remove themer plugin and add the themes to the structurer

P3

> - change @head/@body to a structure that can be matched with xpath.

P2

> - change the core alias-xsl part to a transformer/generator (I started
> it on my local version) and change process model that contracts are
> standalone. That means that you can access contracts like:
> a) contract.*.xsl.xml -> gives you the xsl of the contract
> b) contract.*.properties.xml -> gives you the default properties passed
> to the contract
> c) contract.*.xml -> gives you the *processed* (a and b) contract.

P1

Status on that:
I am working on a couple of classes ATM that will allow us to do this. I
have not check anything in yet because it is actually not doing anything
useful yet and personal sandbox.

> This way it will become possible to better use contracts in different
> formats and nearly everywhere in forrest.
>
> After this we finally have the core-plugin dispatcher.

salu2

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 11:30 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
>
>>Thorsten Scherler wrote:

>>>Some major things have to be changed before we can officially recommend
>>>v2:
>>>- move images from resources/skin to the themes/
>>
>>You say "major" things, so I guess this is more than a copying them
>>over. Will it help if resources are resolved by the locationmap? I have
>>a 95% coimplete resources locationmap on my hard disk, I can bring it to
>>the top of my todo list if it will help.
>

> That would be great as an example. :) The major problem I see is
> <map:resource name="skin-read">
>   <map:select type="exists">
>
> That should go away because it is to complicated IMO. I archived to
> resolve js and css only through the lm. Images need some kind of
> different processing though (e.g. svg2png).
>
> Anyway you can add the 95% to the whiteboard and I will try to finish
> it, if you busy. Thanks for offering to move it up your todo list. :)

See http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-693, I just attached the
resources.xmap file there.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 11:30 +0100, Ross Gardler escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 12:22 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> >
> >>I finally managed a workaround for issue FOR-675.
> >>The JXPath has been upgraded and tested with both the
> >>current "skins" and the new structurer (views v2) plugins.
> >>
> >>Thorsten, does this mean that we can finally encourage devs
> >>to use the new whiteboard plugins, or is there another holdup?
> >

> > Some major things have to be changed before we can officially recommend
> > v2:
> > - move images from resources/skin to the themes/
>
> You say "major" things, so I guess this is more than a copying them
> over. Will it help if resources are resolved by the locationmap? I have
> a 95% coimplete resources locationmap on my hard disk, I can bring it to
> the top of my todo list if it will help.

That would be great as an example. :) The major problem I see is
<map:resource name="skin-read">
  <map:select type="exists">

That should go away because it is to complicated IMO. I archived to
resolve js and css only through the lm. Images need some kind of
different processing though (e.g. svg2png).

Anyway you can add the 95% to the whiteboard and I will try to finish
it, if you busy. Thanks for offering to move it up your todo list. :)

> > After this we can recommend the usage. I hope that I can finish this
> > till beginning of next week. All that want to help: please help
> > updating/extending the howtos the rest is better done from one person
> > only.
>
> I'm busy with the site-dev and Cocoon publication stuff at the moment.
> However, If site-dev goes the Forrest route (vote in progress) I plan on
> moving it to views. That should give me the experience to help with the
> how-to's (next week).

Jeje, I know, I am a lurker on that list. ;-) BTW that is good news that
you want to base it on views, I think you can use v2 for that right
away, because I reckon you will use default contracts.

Actually thx to david and antonio, v2 is right now usable, but the
upcoming changes will influence the howtos and without howtos (again) I
do not feel like recommend (again) the usages.

Thx

salu2

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El jue, 27-10-2005 a las 12:22 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> I finally managed a workaround for issue FOR-675.
> The JXPath has been upgraded and tested with both the
> current "skins" and the new structurer (views v2) plugins.
>
> Thorsten, does this mean that we can finally encourage devs
> to use the new whiteboard plugins, or is there another holdup?

Some major things have to be changed before we can officially recommend
v2:
- move images from resources/skin to the themes/
- rename default to common
- update the howtos

After this we can recommend the usage. I hope that I can finish this
till beginning of next week. All that want to help: please help
updating/extending the howtos the rest is better done from one person
only.

Other open points for v2:
- remove themer plugin and add the themes to the structurer
- change @head/@body to a structure that can be matched with xpath.
- change the core alias-xsl part to a transformer/generator (I started
it on my local version) and change process model that contracts are
standalone. That means that you can access contracts like:
a) contract.*.xsl.xml -> gives you the xsl of the contract
b) contract.*.properties.xml -> gives you the default properties passed
to the contract
c) contract.*.xml -> gives you the *processed* (a and b) contract.

This way it will become possible to better use contracts in different
formats and nearly everywhere in forrest.

After this we finally have the core-plugin dispatcher.

Thx again, especially David and Antonio, for solving this issue.  I love
you guys. ;-)

salu2