Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Akbar Thanakalacheruvu <Ak...@sumtotalsystems.com> on 2013/09/11 19:47:40 UTC

Need settings/configuration details to improve tomcat performance

Hi All

We are deploying around 10 to 15 websites on a tomcat server where each website will have concurrency of 100 users at a given time.
This concurrency will continue though out the day.

So, I need settings/configuration details of tomcat server to improve its performance.
Please forward/suggest me if you have any information on this.

Regards
Akbar

This message and any attachments thereto contain information that may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure and is the property of SumTotal Systems, LLC  It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message, any attachments thereto or any part thereof.  If you receive this message in error, please notify me at AkbarT@sumtotalsystems.com<ma...@sumtotalsystems.com> and delete all copies of this message and attachments.   SumTotal Systems, LLC has implemented anti-virus software on its computers and servers, however, it is the recipient's own responsibility to ensure that all attachments are scanned for viruses prior to usage.

Re: Need settings/configuration details to improve tomcat performance

Posted by Arun Kumar <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

for better request handling you need to know all about tomcat connectors ,
just try jk_mod with tomcat
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-3.3-doc/mod_jk-howto.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.
On 9/11/2013 1:47 PM, Akbar Thanakalacheruvu wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We are deploying around 10 to 15 websites on a tomcat server where each website will have concurrency of 100 users at a given time.
> This concurrency will continue though out the day.
>
> So, I need settings/configuration details of tomcat server to improve its performance.
> Please forward/suggest me if you have any information on this.

Are you sure you need to improve its performance?  Have you found that
its current performance is inadequate?  If so, you will need to
benchmark where your performance hits are coming from (database
connections, disk I/O, network I/O, etc), and mitigate whichever one is
most limiting first.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Akbar Thanakalacheruvu wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We are deploying around 10 to 15 websites on a tomcat server where each website will have concurrency of 100 users at a given time.
> This concurrency will continue though out the day.
>
> So, I need settings/configuration details of tomcat server to improve its performance.
> Please forward/suggest me if you have any information on this.

The term "improving" implies that there is a current situation, and you want to make it
better. So what is the current situation ?
Don't be afraid to provide some real data, if you want some real answers.

Re: Need settings/configuration details to improve tomcat performance

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Akbar,

On 9/11/13 1:47 PM, Akbar Thanakalacheruvu wrote:
> We are deploying around 10 to 15 websites on a tomcat server where
> each website will have concurrency of 100 users at a given time.

100 sessions or 100 simultaneous requests/connections per webapp, for
a total load of 1000-1500 concurrent requests?

Are you configuring a single server, or a farm of server? Is a farm,
how many nodes? Are you using distributed sessions?

You have really provided no good information with your request. If I
were a consultant, I'd tell you that your best bet is to bring-in my
Sharepoint and SAP teams, and after a few tens of million dollars and
a few years, you'll have everything your heart desires. But I'm not,
and those products are rarely the proper solution ;)

You didn't even say what Tomcat version you were running. I'd
recommend upgrading from 3.2.3 to something more recent.

> This concurrency will continue though out the day.

Doesn't really matter: if peak = steady, that just means your peak is
probably incorrect :)

> So, I need settings/configuration details of tomcat server to
> improve its performance.
>
> Please forward/suggest me if you have any information on this.

Aah... the perennial question: where is the "fast" configuration
switch, and how do I turn it on?

The short answer is that Tomcat is tuned pretty well in its default
configuration. Only you can determine what settings are appropriate
for your needs. Nobody can give you any tips of tricks to speed things up.

That being said, Tomcat currently ships with the default BIO (blocking
I/O) connector enabled. Using either the NIO (all Java) or APR
(native) connector would probably be an improvement. If you are using
SSL, I highly recommend the APR connector, as there is a measurable
performance improvement using OpenSSL over JSSE.

If you need to be able to handle 1000-1500 simultaneous connections,
then you are going to have to either use more servers or raise the
limits on your <Connector> (which default to 200 threads). The
attributes you want to adjust depend upon the Connector you are using.

- -chris