Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Sam Joseph <ga...@yha.att.ne.jp> on 2002/04/25 02:54:59 UTC

Crossdb and Criteria Patch

Hi there,

I think this is related to crossdb since that seems to involve replacing
the Criteria class for which I submitted a patch.

So I'm not sure what the likelihood is for the Criteria patch I
submitted actually being incorporated into the torque code, but I would
like to know what that likelihood is.  I have found at least two other
people in your mailing list archives who have been tripped up by the
currently incorrect description of how to combine "and" and "or" queries
using Criteria.Criterion.

http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg05376.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/turbine-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg00619.html

The latter person submitted a patch which I don't believe was added to
the Criteria class.  I think the patch I have submitted solves the
problem is a way that avoids disruption, and makes only minor
modifications to the internals of the Criteria.Criterion class.  If I
can work out how to submit testing code to you, I'd be very happy to
show you.

You can even see the operation of the code in a webapp I have created
that allows the user to combine multiple "or" and "and" clauses using
Union and Intersection operations (although the interface is not very
intuitive)

http://www.neurogrid.net:8080/tristero/servlet/forum?action=search_page

If you don't take up my patch I would like you to adjust the PeersHowTo
documentation

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/torque/peers-howto.html

so that other people are not misled about the capabilities of the
Criteria class.

I am particularly concerned given that there seems to be discussion of
replacing the entire query framework (e.g. crossdb), which would mean
doing away with Criteria etc.  Now that would be fine, but before you
get into that I think you should either use my patch to make your
documentation accurate, or adjust your documentation, before other users
are misled.

CHEERS> SAM

Re: Crossdb and Criteria Patch

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Thursday, April 25, 2002, at 05:42  PM, Sam Joseph wrote:

> Is there some simple summary somewhere of what else you think is wrong
> with Criteria and why it needs replacing?

I'll reply to turbine-torque-dev.
-Eric

Re: Crossdb and Criteria Patch

Posted by Sam Joseph <ga...@yha.att.ne.jp>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
On Thursday, April 25, 2002, at 05:27  PM, Sam Joseph wrote:

> Please find patch attached.  Sorry about the corruption - my mailer
> seems to be weirding out.

Thanks.  that worked much better.
more details on turbine-torque-dev.

-Eric