Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Neal Richardson <ne...@gmail.com> on 2021/06/21 18:00:41 UTC

Preparing for 5.0.0

Hi folks,
It's that time again--July is approaching, and with it our next major
release. I've started
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+5.0.0+Release
(copied from the 4.0.0 page and updated the jira searches to 5.0.0, per
usual), and we're currently showing 250 open issues for 5.0.0. We have
about 4 weeks left to close out the scope--3 weeks from Friday is July 16,
and I think that's when we want to be ready to cut a release candidate,
just to leave enough time to get it voted on and shipped before the end of
the month.

One difference this release involves Rust: since the Rust subprojects have
moved off of jira, the usual confluence widgets aren't picking up any
release blocking issues from Rust, nor would we be accounting for issues
resolved in the release by just counting jiras or commits to apache/arrow.
Any thoughts on how to make this accounting work, both for the release
burndown and for the post-release announcement?

Thanks,
Neal

Re: Preparing for 5.0.0

Posted by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com>.
Thanks Neil,

Regarding the Rust 5.0.0 release -- as of now, I don't know of any issues
that would block this release. I suggest for the time being if any does
come up we can file a JIRA issue for that particular issue. We have had
pretty good luck keeping the master branch "shippable" and I expect that to
continue.

As for the post release announcement can you point me at what statistics
are normally reported and I'll file an issue in the arrow-rs repo to be
able to calculate the same

Thank you for coordinating,
Andrew

Re: Preparing for 5.0.0