Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2014/02/01 03:42:09 UTC

releasing without 3 PMC votes

I think that

We should not be releasing without following the Apache release guidelines.

In particular, 3 votes from the PMC are absolutely required to make a
release.  This is a universal requirement for all Apache projects and
really isn't open for debate.

If we are consistently having problems getting 3 PM votes, then we need to
address that by adding active committers to the PMC, not by releasing
software without the necessary process.

Anybody think anything else on this topic?

Re: releasing without 3 PMC votes

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.
It took a while but we got three votes, or am I misunderstanding?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Yes.  That is my understanding as well.

My suggestion is that we should make the time required to get the 3 votes
shorter, recognizing schedule conflicts will arise.

We have some experimental evidence about how likely it is to take a certain
amount of time to get the votes with due diligence.  My feeling is that we
need to shorten that time a bit and we have the raw materials to do so.

Posted by Andrew Musselman <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 06:42:09PM -0800, Ted Dunning wrote:
> We should not be releasing without following the Apache release guidelines.
>
> In particular, 3 votes from the PMC are absolutely required to make a
> release.  This is a universal requirement for all Apache projects and
> really isn't open for debate.

+1

> If we are consistently having problems getting 3 PM votes, then we need to
> address that by adding active committers to the PMC, not by releasing
> software without the necessary process.

+1

Just to be clear - this means first putting up the release candidate, than getting the three votes, than actually doing the release - in that very order.

Unless this process is followed our releases are no longer official Apache releases potentially calling very loudly for legal trouble. There is a discussion going on over at com-dev on faster release cadence for Apache releases - if you want to change the policy I would strongly urge you to participate there. However my personal take is that in case getting 3 PM votes is a problem, then we as a community have a problem with too few people having time to actually respond.

Isabel