Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Laurent Julliard <La...@xrce.xerox.com> on 2004/03/01 19:49:00 UTC

Mimic pserver cvs readers/writers?

I'm considering a move from cvs to svn. i went through the
documentation and couldn't find a way to tune svnserve access control
so that it mimics what pserver does on cvs with readers and writers
file containing the name of people allowed to read or write to the CVS
repo.

In this case you can have authenticated users with read-only access.
Can I do that with svnserve?

Thanks for your help

Laurent

Re: Mimic pserver cvs readers/writers?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> > This can be achieved by setting all authenticated users to write-enabled
> and
> > then using the svnperms.py script (from the repository
> /tools/hook-scripts/)
> > to deny all authenticated users (except a named group) write access to
> the
> > root of the repository (and all paths below).
>
> By group here do you mean a Unix group or where is this group of users
> defined (which configuration file?)

I meant a group of Subversion users; to be specified in the configuration
file for svnperms.py. An example is in the subversion repository right where
you can find svnperms.py itself.

bye,

Erik.

Re: Mimic pserver cvs readers/writers?

Posted by Laurent Julliard <La...@xrce.xerox.com>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:

> This can be achieved by setting all authenticated users to write-enabled and
> then using the svnperms.py script (from the repository /tools/hook-scripts/)
> to deny all authenticated users (except a named group) write access to the
> root of the repository (and all paths below).

By group here do you mean a Unix group or where is this group of users
defined (which configuration file?)

Thanks!

LJ

Re: Mimic pserver cvs readers/writers?

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
Hi,

> > Tobias Ringström wrote:

> > >to the CVS > repo.

> > >access. > Can I do that with svnserve?
> > >
> > > Absolutely.  See
> > >
> > > http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch06s03.html#svn-ch-6-sect-3.2
> > >
> > > /Tobias
>
> Actually, what he's looking for is a way to specify that particular
> AUTHENTICATED users are allowed only read-only access, while others have
> RW access and perhaps an anonymous user with RO access.  It looks to me
> that the only way to do that is with the http transport and using
> htaccess. I don't think it can be done with svnserve.

This can be achieved by setting all authenticated users to write-enabled and
then using the svnperms.py script (from the repository /tools/hook-scripts/)
to deny all authenticated users (except a named group) write access to the
root of the repository (and all paths below).

HTH,

Erik.

Re: Mimic pserver cvs readers/writers?

Posted by Jim Nutt <ji...@nuttz.org>.

--
jim nutt

home: 	jim@nuttz.org		jabber:	jimnutt@jabber.com
work: 	jimnutt@vestek.com	ms msg: jim@nuttz.org
pgp id: 1ECBCC78

Re: Mimic pserver cvs readers/writers?

Posted by Laurent Julliard <La...@xrce.xerox.com>.
Tobias Ringström wrote:
> Laurent Julliard wrote:
>
>> I'm considering a move from cvs to svn. i went through the
>> documentation and couldn't find a way to tune svnserve access control
>> so that it mimics what pserver does on cvs with readers and writers
>> file containing the name of people allowed to read or write to the CVS
>> repo.
>>
>> In this case you can have authenticated users with read-only access.
>> Can I do that with svnserve?
>

> Absolutely.  See
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/html-chunk/ch06s03.html#svn-ch-6-sect-3.2
>
> /Tobias
>
> .

I read that section before sending my first email (and read it again
after your answer) but I still don't see how to mimic the
readers/writers from cvs.

What I see in the svnserver documentation is that you have 2
categories of users: "anonymous" and "authenticated". Authenticated
users can be granted either read only or read/write access globally
but I do not see how to specify that certain authenticated users have
read/write access while some other authenticated users are read-only.

Can you do that?

--
Laurent JULLIARD - Xerox Global Services - XDD-G Manager
Tel: +33 (0)4 76 61 50 48 - Fax: +33 (0)4 76 61 51 99

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.