Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Wanlass <jw...@trakit-gps.com> on 2007/08/28 17:40:40 UTC

URL context mapping

Hello List –

We have 100+ clients all with their own **identical** context in the webapps dir.  We would like to merge all contexts into one in order to soften memory requirements and make it more manageable.  We have tried using the docbase attribute in the context.xml but found that it still stores its own class copies in memory not reducing our memory requirements by much.  So my question is:

Is there an easy way to map URLs including contexts (i.e. client.ourCompany.com/client ) to the same context?

We cannot simply change the URL for everyone to the same URL with the same context because we have thousands of mobile devices in the field pointing to the original URL  (i.e. “company1.ourcompany.com/company1”) and they are not easy to update.

Thanks,

Jon Wanlass

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.

RE: URL context mapping

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Jon Wanlass [mailto:jwanlass@trakit-gps.com]
> Subject: URL context mapping
>
> We have 100+ clients all with their own **identical** context
> in the webapps dir.  We would like to merge all contexts into
> one in order to soften memory requirements and make it more
> manageable.

This sounds like a really, really bad idea.  Doing such a merge will
cause an outage for all clients if any of them has a hiccup.  Memory is
cheap; why not buy some, if that's really the problem?

> Is there an easy way to map URLs including contexts (i.e.
> client.ourCompany.com/client ) to the same context?

You can write a valve or filter to redirect or forward requests to
whatever URL you want.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: URL context mapping

Posted by Tobias Barth <to...@web-arts.de>.
Hi,

Put Apache and mod_rewrite in front of Tomcat.

*Tobias Barth*
Dipl. Informatiker
Senior Webentwickler

*Web Arts AG*
Ferdinandstraße 18
61348 Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe
http://www.web-arts.com

Tel.: +49.6172.68097-28
Fax: +49.6172.68097-77
tobias.barth@web-arts.com <ma...@web-arts.com>

*Sitz der Gesellschaft:* Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe | *Amtsgericht:* Bad
Homburg v. d. Höhe HRB 6719
*Steuernummer:* 003 248 00118 Finanzamt Bad Homburg v. d. Höhe
*Vorstand:* Thorsten Barth, André Morys | *Aufsichtsrat:* Gerhard
Beinhauer (Vors.)

Jon Wanlass schrieb:
> Is there an easy way to map URLs including contexts (i.e. client.ourCompany.com/client ) to the same context?
>

> We cannot simply change the URL for everyone to the same URL with the same context because we have thousands of mobile devices in the field pointing to the original URL  (i.e. “company1.ourcompany.com/company1”) and they are not easy to update.
>

> Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

^^