Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/09/04 20:50:14 UTC

Re: [mp2] Known problem with mod_perl 1.99_16 on FreeBSD 5 ?

Ken Simpson wrote:
>>Running FreeBSD casablanca.eurovip.se 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9. I get the
>>following error when compiling 1.99_16:
>>
>>cd "src/modules/perl" && make -f Makefile.modperl
>>make: don't know how to make dynamic. Stop
>>*** Error code 2
>

> I get the same failure building _16. The solution I have found is to
> remove dynamic from the list of build targets skipped in the
> Makefile.PL in that directory; i.e.:
>
> -my @skip = qw(dynamic test);
> +my @skip = qw(test);
>  push @skip, q{static}
>      unless (Apache::Build::BUILD_APREXT);
>
> mod_perl builds fine like this.

that seems to be a MakeMaker bug on some BSDs. Please see:
http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=7417
The solution seems to be to use gmake. At least it worked for Carl on NetBSD.

Re: [mp2] Known problem with mod_perl 1.99_16 on FreeBSD 5 ?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Randy Kobes wrote:

>>>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#make__don_t_know_how_to_make_dynamic__Stop

>>>-my @skip = qw(dynamic test);
>>>+my @skip = qw(test);
>>>push @skip, q{static}
>>>       unless (Apache::Build::BUILD_APREXT);
>>>
>>>shouldn't this be applied to xs/APR/aprext/Makefile.PL ? At least this
>>>helped on my system (netbsd). And I can't find these lines in
>>>src/modules/perl/Makefile.modperl.
>>
>>Thanks Mikhail, fixed.
>

> Just to clarify something - the original problem:
>   http://gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/modperl/72411
> was
>   cd "src/modules/perl" && make -f Makefile.modperl
>   make: don't know how to make dynamic. Stop.
> This, I take it, is fixed by using gmake. There's also
> another problem:
>   http://gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/modperl/70835
> about
>   make: don't know how to make dynamic. Stop.
>   make: stopped in /.../modperl-2.0/xs/APR/aprext
> which is, I take it, also fixed by using gmake, *or* by
> editing xs/APR/aprext/Makefile.PL as above. Presumably
> this last fix of editing xs/APR/aprext/Makefile.PL
> doesn't help the problem in src/modules/perl. So perhaps
> in the docs one should just say to use gmake?

So should the doc entry mention both cases? I suppose there is a
workaround for Makefile.modperl as well, w/ 'make'. Feel free to adjust
it, Randy.

Re: [mp2] Known problem with mod_perl 1.99_16 on FreeBSD 5 ?

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Stas Bekman wrote:

> MGorbunov@imbank.ru wrote:
> >>This *BSD issue is now documented at:
> >
> > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#make__don_t_know_how_to_make_dynamic__Stop
> >
> >>--
> >
> > -my @skip = qw(dynamic test);
> > +my @skip = qw(test);
> > push @skip, q{static}
> >        unless (Apache::Build::BUILD_APREXT);
> >
> > shouldn't this be applied to xs/APR/aprext/Makefile.PL ? At least this
> > helped on my system (netbsd). And I can't find these lines in
> > src/modules/perl/Makefile.modperl.
>
> Thanks Mikhail, fixed.

Just to clarify something - the original problem:
  http://gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/modperl/72411
was
  cd "src/modules/perl" && make -f Makefile.modperl
  make: don't know how to make dynamic. Stop.
This, I take it, is fixed by using gmake. There's also
another problem:
  http://gossamer-threads.com/lists/modperl/modperl/70835
about
  make: don't know how to make dynamic. Stop.
  make: stopped in /.../modperl-2.0/xs/APR/aprext
which is, I take it, also fixed by using gmake, *or* by
editing xs/APR/aprext/Makefile.PL as above. Presumably
this last fix of editing xs/APR/aprext/Makefile.PL
doesn't help the problem in src/modules/perl. So perhaps
in the docs one should just say to use gmake?

--
best regards,
randy

Re: [mp2] Known problem with mod_perl 1.99_16 on FreeBSD 5 ?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by MG...@imbank.ru.
> This *BSD issue is now documented at:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#make__don_t_know_how_to_make_dynamic__Stop
> --

-my @skip = qw(dynamic test);
+my @skip = qw(test);
push @skip, q{static}
       unless (Apache::Build::BUILD_APREXT);

shouldn't this be applied to xs/APR/aprext/Makefile.PL ? At least this
helped on my system (netbsd). And I can't find these lines in
src/modules/perl/Makefile.modperl.

Mikhail

Re: [mp2] Known problem with mod_perl 1.99_16 on FreeBSD 5 ?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by cw <cw...@fidei.co.uk>.
Gmake works on OpenBSD 3.5 as well.

Just need to iron out the test failures that happen regardless of
make/gmake.

Re: [mp2] Known problem with mod_perl 1.99_16 on FreeBSD 5 ?

Posted by Carl Brewer <ca...@bl.echidna.id.au>.
Stas Bekman wrote:

> that seems to be a MakeMaker bug on some BSDs. Please see:
> http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=7417
> The solution seems to be to use gmake. At least it worked for Carl on
> NetBSD.

It works for me with gmake, yes.

There's another problem I haven't had time yet to report though,
but it may be relevant - it doesn't find ThreadMutex.pm
at (g)make install time.  I just commented the ThreadMutex
line out of the makefile and it seems ok to me, but that may not
be ideal.

Carl