Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bertrand Baesjou <ba...@tid.es> on 2006/11/08 17:10:13 UTC

Web Service state migration/preservation possibly in combination with WSRF

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the preservation of the state of a WS. Lets
say I have two nodes which both run the same service and one of those
nodes is sort of the primary node (clients only connect to the primary
node). Now I want that the second node "knows" the state of the first
node so that in a case of a failure (shutdown or something) of the first
node, the second knows in which state the sessions of the clients in the
primary node were and via some sort of negotiation, the second node
resumes the session with the clients.

What are my possibilities here or stuff I certainly have to look into?
The WS in question currently uses WSRF to preserve its state internally,
is that re-usable? I also read something about WS-Context, but that is
still just a document and not a framework yet, also not sure in which
extent it is actually useful.

By the way, I am not searching for a solution where an edge node
preserves  the session (dispatcher like) and the other nodes just
process jobs. I really want to exchange state information between the
nodes. This exchange may be done by WS, but might also be done by other
means (syncing of databases with information using rsync or something).
Since I am quite new to this, I might not have read everything, thus
feel free to provide me links to sites or documents that might be
interesting.

I hope I made myself a bit clear, if not I'll elaborate some more.

Best regards and thank you in advance,
    Bertrand

P.S. I am quite new in the Web Services world, so there is a lot to
learn for me and maybe more questions will follow.
P.P.S. This question is due to a general model (not only for WS) I am
developing for my Masters thesis about migrating service interfaces.
Eventually this thesis will be freely available along with any relevant
information for WS within the thesis subject.

RE: Web Service state migration/preservation possibly in combination with WSRF

Posted by "Richard Mixon (Qwest)" <rn...@qwest.net>.
As you asked on the Tomcat forum, I'm assuming your wish a solution that
runs on Tomcat.

I have seen a number of web services frameworks discussed on this forum -
all that run under Tomcat (Axis is one I believe). I would think they must
all be built using the Servlet API as a foundation - but I do not have
experience using them.

In that event you should be able to configure "session replication" between
the two Tomcats (use the latest version 5.5.x). If your state is preserved
in the session, both Tomcats will have the exact same information available.
You then need a way of switching to the secondary Tomcat should the first
become unavaible.

Hope this helps - Richard