Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Chitra R <ch...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/01 05:51:28 UTC

Drawbacks of using Docvalues Fields

Hi,
      I have one doubt. Actually I have indexed 50 documents for both
SortedNumericDocValuesField and IntField separately . Each document
consists of 49 fields. After that, i performed indexing & searching ( with
& without sorting) .

     It seems DocValuesField indexes and searches the documents faster than
normal FieldType (eg: IntField) and also it retrieves the values more
efficent than normal field.  Is their any drawbacks to
use SortedNumericDocValuesField over IntField?

Also It seems like we can use Docvalues Field(String or Numeric)
efficiently for any functionality(Searching and sorting). So generally, do
we have any drawbacks of using DocValues Field(String and Numeric)?

Known Drawbacks(on StringFields):
-->docvalues don't work on analyzed fields
-->search_analyzer cannot be specified on non-analyzed fields.

is there any specific drawback on numeric docvalue fields? is range query
not possible?? or anyother?

Thanks,
Chitra

Re: Drawbacks of using Docvalues Fields

Posted by Chitra R <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thank you so much for the information Erick.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.