Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jerry Ford <jf...@katzenjammer.us> on 2004/01/07 20:39:01 UTC

[users@httpd] [OT] DNS entries for multiple domains

In a different message thread (Re: [users@httpd] Beginning Help),
responding to a question about setting up a new Apache server, Jez
Hancock wrote:

"For each subdomain under sorensonlink.com you want to point to an
IP address/serve files for, you need to create an A record on your dns
server.  An A record indicates what IP address is associated with a
fully qualified domain name (FQDN)."

My follow-up question---okay, :) technically, not purely an Apache topic, but it stems from one:

When I registered my domain, I had to provide the addresses of two DNS servers.

I use my own DNS server as the primary, but for the secondary, I named the DNS server run by a colleague of mine at a previous company where I worked.

If I want to add a new domain, I can easily add the A record to my DNS server, but do I also have to get the administrator of the other DNS server to do the same?  Or will the new entry replicate automatically from my primary server to his slave?

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] [OT] DNS entries for multiple domains

Posted by Jez Hancock <je...@munk.nu>.
On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:39:01AM -0800, Jerry Ford wrote:
> In a different message thread (Re: [users@httpd] Beginning Help),
> responding to a question about setting up a new Apache server, Jez
> Hancock wrote:
>
> "For each subdomain under sorensonlink.com you want to point to an
> IP address/serve files for, you need to create an A record on your dns
> server.  An A record indicates what IP address is associated with a
> fully qualified domain name (FQDN)."
>
> My follow-up question---okay, :) technically, not purely an Apache topic,
> but it stems from one:
>
> When I registered my domain, I had to provide the addresses of two DNS
> servers.
> I use my own DNS server as the primary, but for the secondary, I named the
> DNS server run by a colleague of mine at a previous company where I worked.
>
> If I want to add a new domain, I can easily add the A record to my DNS
> server, but do I also have to get the administrator of the other DNS server
> to do the same?  Or will the new entry replicate automatically from my
> primary server to his slave?
Whenever a zone on a nameserver is modified, the serial number for the
zone in question is incremented to indicate a change in that zone's
data.  This way, when the other nameserver(s) check with the
updated server to see if any modifications have been made, they find that
the serial number has changed and know to update the zone details for
the zone whose serial number changed.  This is the AXFR protocol.

Alternatively you can just arrange to update the zone data manually
using a method such as scp - copying the zone data from the server
where the updates took place over to the server that needs updating.

The way in which you perform the updates is up to you - although BIND
and djbdns both have options to update via AXFR, most DNS server
implementations probably (should?) do :P

The info linked to from this page below is very good in terms of detail
regarding DNS in general - worth a read even if you don't use or plan on
using djbdns:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html

with this page on the AXFR protocol:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/axfr-notes.html