Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Stefan Seifert <ss...@pro-vision.de> on 2001/09/06 10:49:47 UTC

[C2] How to Configure MRUMemoryStore/Pipeline-Caching

Has anyone further information concerning the MRUMemoryStore-Settings in
cocoon.xconf?
It is commentent in the File, but on several questions i found no
answers:

 - Why are there three MRUMemoryStores? One "store", one "stream-cache",
on "event-cache"?
 - What exactly is cached in "store"?
 - What exactly is cached in "stream-cache"?
 - What exactly is cached in "event-cache"?
 - Are the memory-Settings like heapsize shared by the three stores or
parallel (means that you have to plan for 3*heapsize memory allocation
using the all three stores)?

Stefan

Re: [C2] How to Configure MRUMemoryStore/Pipeline-Caching

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi Stefan,
below there is a answer of the "man of the cache" Carsten, to
your question why more then one store.

Hi Gerhard,

the answer is in fact really short: It's the way it was designed :-)
No, seriously, the idea behind this was that you can configure both
stores differently. For example you can choose to make a weaker
store for the event pipelines (weaker=caches not many objects) and
a "big" store for the stream pipelines. If you know which ones
are more "cacheable" you can fine-tune your stores according to
the information. Perhaps this might be a little bit overkill.

This decision was made, because of the two pipeline objects. You
can combine a non-caching-stream-pipeline was a
caching-event-pipeline etc. So we thought it was natural to have
two stores.

Carsten
<<<<<<

--
Gerhard Fröhlich
g-froehlich@gmx.de

"black holes are,
when GOD is dividing by zero"

http://www.gmx.net

--
GMX Tipp:

Machen Sie Ihr Hobby zu Geld bei unserem Partner 1&1!
http://profiseller.de/info/index.php3?ac=OM.PS.PS003K00596T0409a

Re: [C2] How to Configure MRUMemoryStore/Pipeline-Caching

Posted by Gerhard Froehlich <g-...@gmx.de>.
Hi,
>  - Why are there three MRUMemoryStores? One "store", one "stream-cache",
> on "event-cache"?
I don't really now. Few days before I asked this question too, but I didn't
get an
anwer. But I think because there are 2 piplines (CacheStreamPipeline and
CacheEventPipeline). Each of them has a own EventCache. And because of
that there are two MRUMemoryStores.
>  - What exactly is cached in "store"?
Nothing
>  - What exactly is cached in "stream-cache"?
CacheStreamObjects I think
>  - What exactly is cached in "event-cache"?
CacheEventObjects I think
>  - Are the memory-Settings like heapsize shared by the three stores or
> parallel (means that you have to plan for 3*heapsize memory allocation
> using the all three stores)?
Yesterday they commited a new component I developed. The StoreJanitor.
You can find it in the 2.1 branch. The StoreJanitor ist now responsible for
the MemoryManagement. Each store register in the StoreJanitor and if
memory runs low the StoreJanitor calls the free() method of the different
stores. So you have only to configure the heapsize parameter, etc only once
now. I put a sample configuration in the cocoon.xconf in the 2.1 branch. A
xdoc
will follow soon.

I hope that helps!

Cheers