Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Knut Wannheden <kn...@apache.org> on 2005/02/22 13:25:54 UTC

HiveMind GUMP build failures

Hi,

For the last few GUMP builds of Jakarta HiveMind we got build failure
notifications.  We are building against the latest build of log4j and get the
following error message:

    [junit] log4j:INFO Returning existing logger [org.apache.hivemind] in
repository [default].
    [junit] 22226 [main] ERROR org.apache.hivemind.test.StoreAppender -
Attempted to log with inactive appender named [null].
    [junit] log4j:INFO Returning existing logger [org.apache.hivemind] in
repository [default].

It looks like it's a recent change in the Appender interface (new methods
activate() and isActive()) which is causing this problem for us as we use a
custom Appender implementation to intercept logging events.

Do you suggest we instruct GUMP to build HiveMind against a 1.2.x version of
log4j?

TIA,

--knut

Re: HiveMind GUMP build failures

Posted by Knut Wannheden <kn...@apache.org>.
Curt,

Curt Arnold <carnold <at> apache.org> writes:

> I agree with your analysis of the problem.  If you need to restore Gump
> immediately, backing up to log4j 1.2 would be the most expedient
> approach.  I don't think the recent changes got the amount of
> discussion that was warranted for a breaking change and we might be
> able to restore compatibility in short order.  So if you are willing to
> be broken for a few days, maybe we can eliminate the need for you to do
> anything.

It is good to know that you are aware of the problem. We don't have any
problem with the build being broken for a few days, so we will just wait for
you to decide how you will proceed with this matter. I just wanted to check
what the right course of action was to take.

Thanks,

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.