Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by "Greenberg, Gary" <gg...@visa.com> on 2019/06/14 21:58:03 UTC

NB11 hangs (as well as NB10) on downloading HTTP Javadoc

I was suffering from very frequent freezes in Netbeans 10.
Hoping that maybe it was resolved in NB11, I did install it today.
Unfortunately it freezes even more often - twice during half an hour, which makes development practically impossible.
It always happening when I press the dot after class instance and it begins displaying list of available methods for that class.
I started it from command prompt and produced a thread dump which I am enclosing.
Meanwhile, can someone tell me what I can disable to stop it from going to that deadly download mode.
Thanks a lot.

BTW, file includes tons of exceptions generated by NB before it finally locked.

Gary Greenberg
Staff Software Engineer
Data Product Development, BI-A
E: ggreenbe@visa.com<ma...@visa.com>
M: 650-269-7902

[EmailSig-TaglineVersion]

Re: NB11 hangs (as well as NB10) on downloading HTTP Javadoc

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
What I see from the logs that NB would like to scan the artifactory. Can
switch the maven index scanning off?

Tools > Options > Java > Maven > Index > Completely disable indexing (at
least temporarily)

Posted by Lars Bruun-Hansen <lb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gary,

You are affected by NETBEANS-58. (evident from your thread dump,
thanks for that).

For the benefit of the discussion I'll try to explain in detail. Bear with me.

For the deadlock to happen, the following conditions must apply:

- You use Windows
- Your NB uses a network proxy to reach internet (probably not
something you've set explicitly, NB will by default pick up your OS
settings). Said network proxy uses SPNEGO for authentication. (aka
'Windows Integrated Authentication' as MS tends to call it)
- You do not have Windows Registry key
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\Kerberos\Parameters\allowtgtsessionkeyset
set to true. The default is false, so most people will have it like
that and since it is in the "System" space most people will not have
the permission to change it themselves.

And that, my friend, is you!

The deadlock happens when NB tries to access the Internet from a
background thread. Sometimes this is caused by a direct action from
the user (e.g.you ask it to download Javadocs for a Maven dependency)
but often it is not something the user knows about as such, meaning
the IDE will will freeze for seemingly no reason.

What happens is that Java cannot obtain a Kerberos Session Key from
the Windows OS, even if you are logged into a domain. The reason why a
Java application cannot do this - while for example a .NET
application, your favorite browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) or indeed
just about any other application can do this without problems - is
long and winding and dates back to Sun's (and later Oracle's)
arrogance towards using Windows's SSPI api because it "is not a full
implementation of GSSAPI". In other words: While just about any other
Windows application can do a Kerberos authentication, a Windows
application using Java de-facto cannot. I don't see this changing
anytime soon as there isn't a lot of focus (from anyone) on Java on
the desktop.

Okay, so Java cannot obtain a Kerberos Session Key from Windows. This
means it cannot do promptless authentication against the proxy as was
the intention. NB is actually a bit clever here as it tries to remedy
this situation of no credentials by physically prompting you for it.
(a plain-vanilla Java application would just fail in this situation).
This is where the trouble begins because a deadlock happens. The
deadlock causes the Swing dispatch thread to block (line 976 in your
dump) and the application will freeze as a result.

The deadlock happens - in my mind - because NB Platform uses
all-locking classloaders. This is a recipe for deadlocks, not just in
this case, but in many other cases too. You can read more about it in
NETBEANS-106.

One of the issues here is that this problem doesn't really affect most
developers who work on the Apache NetBeans code base. We are all on
Mac or Linux and for sure not on a corporate network with SPNEGO
authentication. For this reason, it is difficult for most NB
committers to relate to the problem. We can't fix what we can't see.
In the interest of transparency I created a minimal Swing example
which showcases the problem by mimicking what the NB Platforms does.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-58?focusedCommentId=16224149&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16224149.
It deadlock on Mac and Linux too. The point here is that you really
have to mimick what NB Platform does in order to provoke the deadlock.
The deadlock doesn't happen for anyone else using the Java platform,
just us.

Prior to Oracle implementing fix for JDK-8032832, NetBeans
applications (e.g. the IDE) were not affected. This has led to the
false conclusion that that particular fix was the true cause of the
problem for the NB Platform app. It isn't. It was just sheer luck that
it had worked well in the NB Platform up until that point.

The way forward?
A number of workarounds has been floating around, all of them by me.
(custom Authenticator and what not). They try to side-step the
problem, not fix it. Again, the true problem, IMHO, is the all-locking
NB Platform classloader. Others may have other opinions on this.
Changing the NB Platform classloader's locking mechanism is for sure
something that has to be done with great care. NETBEANS-106 explains
more.

Gary, for your immediate problem I suggest to set your proxy
credentials explicitly in NB Options and see it that helps. Be careful
though: When your Windows password changes and you forget to change in
NB Options too, then I'm guessing the deadlock will come back. A more
favorable action would be to set the Windows Registry key mentioned at
the top of my rant ... if possible.

/Lars

Posted by Javier Ortiz <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.