Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com> on 2017/04/05 14:17:42 UTC

[mentors] updates.netbeans.org

Hi all, especially our mentors,

When we donate netbeans.org and related properties to Apache, there's one
area that's important to be aware of and hopefully find an answer to and
that is the following URL:

updates.netbeans.org

When everything becomes netbeans.apache.org, the above URL will need to
stay the way it is, it cannot become 'updates.netbeans.apache.org'.

The reason for that is that the above is hardcoded into NetBeans IDE. It
points to the official NetBeans update center, where plugins are found.

Although the URL is not hardcoded in the sense that it is in a Java source
file, it is in a Properties file and can be changed in the Plugin Manager
in NetBeans by any user. However, we don't believe the majority of people
will apply such an update to NetBeans, therefore if  the URL were to change
under Apache, the majority of NetBeans users will still have "
updates.netbeans.org" applied and will be not be able to receive updates.

For example, what can happen, once in a while, is that security updates
need to be applied to NetBeans, based on Oracle requirements and demands,
on previous versions of NetBeans, i.e., from before the donation to Apache.

Therefore, 'updates.netbeans.org' must stay 'updates.netbeans.org' and not
change to 'updates.netbeans.apache.org'.

Two possible solutions:

1. We donate all of netbeans.org to Apache, but Apache accepts that '
updates.netbeans.org' will not be changed to 'updated.netbeans.apache.org'.

2. We do not donate 'updates.netbeans.org' to Apache, i.e., we exclude it
from the donation.

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Geertjan

Re: [mentors] updates.netbeans.org

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
I think it's simpler if per the donation agreement updates.netbeans.org
will resolve to an Oracle IP address until a given date, say 2020.

--emi

Posted by Simon IJskes <si...@ijskes.org>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@neilcsmith.net>.
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017, 15:17 Geertjan Wielenga, <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> When everything becomes netbeans.apache.org,

Out of interest, why would it? There are other Apache projects with their
own domains.

Best wishes,

Neil

> --