Posted to user@struts.apache.org by krishan rathi <kr...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/11 13:17:36 UTC

struts+Action+netbeans 5.0 problem

Hi all

  I am trying to use struts with netbeans 5.0 but having strange problems.

  I have wrtten One ActionForm i.e EmployeeForm ,one action i.e AddEmpAction.

  then in the struts-config.xml provided following entries:

  <form-bean type="com.myapp.struts.forms.EmployeeForm" name="employee"/>

  <action input="/addEmployee.jsp" type="com.myapp.struts.actions.AddEmpAction" validate="false" scope="session" path="/addemp" name="employee">
            <forward path="/index.jsp" name="success"/>
</action>

  and using /addEmployee.jsp as welcomefile.

  But when i run my application it is displaying the addemployee.jsp correctly but when i click on the submit button it just displays a blank screen showing addemp.do in the address bar.

  can anybody provide what i am missing.

  the listing of my formbean and action class is following.

import org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward;
  /**
 *
 * @author admin
 */
public class AddEmpAction extends Action{

   public ActionForward excecute(ActionMapping mapping,ActionForm form,HttpServletRequest request,HttpServletResponse response){
      try{
      System.out.println("inside action******************************************");
          EmployeeForm empForm=(EmployeeForm)form;
       String name=empForm.getName();
      float salary=empForm.getSalary();
       String address=empForm.getAddress();
       Employee emp=new Employee(name,salary,address);
       EmployeeDao dao=new EmployeeDao();
       dao.insertEmployee(emp,1);

      }
      catch(Exception e){
          e.printStackTrace();
      }
      return mapping.findForward("success");
   }

}

  /*
 * EmployeeForm.java
 *
 * Created on September 11, 2006, 11:52 AM
 *
 * To change this template, choose Tools | Template Manager
 * and open the template in the editor.
 */
  package com.myapp.struts.forms;
import org.apache.struts.action.ActionErrors;
  /**
 *
 * @author admin
 */
public class EmployeeForm extends ActionForm {
    private String name;
    private float salary;
    private String address;

    public void reset(ActionMapping mapping,HttpServletRequest request){
        setName(null);
        setSalary(0.0F);
        setAddress(null);
    }
public ActionErrors validate(ActionMapping mapping,HttpServletRequest request){
    return null;
}
    public String getName() {
        return name;
    }
      public void setName(String name) {
        this.name = name;
    }
      public float getSalary() {
        return salary;
    }
      public void setSalary(float salary) {
        this.salary = salary;
    }
      public String getAddress() {
        return address;
    }
      public void setAddress(String address) {
        this.address = address;
    }
}

  thanks

  Krishan rathi.

---------------------------------

Re: struts+Action+netbeans 5.0 problem

Posted by nuwan chandrasoma <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

What is the output on the console or messages on the log file?

Thanks,

Nuwan

Posted by Tom Jerry <to...@gmail.com>.
I got the same thing.. but I figured out the mistake that I used perform( )
instead of execute( ) method. After replacing it with execute ( ) method, I
got the output. There is one more thing.. If you use ActionErrors validate (
) method, then you have to set the validate attribute to "true" right ? ok..
still you have nothing to validate. ok.. leave it.

      You can refer to the url :
http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=StrutsActionMapping
which indicates the ways of mapping for a better output.

Re: Constructor of Action is executed but getting a blank screen

Posted by David Grundberg <c0...@cs.umu.se>.
Try overriding "execute", not "excecute" :)

Posted by krishan rathi <kr...@yahoo.com>.
thanks

Emilia Ipate <ei...@nl.swets.com> wrote:  Hi!

It might sound stupid, but just check: Your execute method from Action is actually called "excecute" instead of "execute".

Posted by Emilia Ipate <ei...@nl.swets.com>.
Hi!