Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/15 18:32:51 UTC

[HEADS UP] - Changing default in scheduled poll consumer

Hi

The ScheduledPollingConsumer in Camel has an option to control whether
the polling task is scheduled with
- fixed rate
- fixed delay

The current default is: fixed rate. And its set at 500 millis (2 times per sec).

I think that default wasn't a good choice. That mean if the scheduled
tasks takes longer than 500 millis, then the JDK will executed the
next task asap (to catch up).
Instead what most people want is to schedule the next task X period
after the termination of the last task. Eg having a X delay period in
between.

So I am changing the default to be: fixed delay instead.

Part of the reason is that we have reported that FTP consumer seems to die:

Likewise I will improved the logic in the Runnable so it catches all
kind of errors, to ensure the thread wont throw a runtime exception
causing the JDK thread pool to stop continue executing tasks. We do
already have good logic for that. But I bulk it up a notch.

--
Claus Ibsen