Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2009/01/15 23:46:24 UTC

Projects not in Incubator project menu.

The following two new projects exist on the ReportingSchedule, but
doesn't appear on the right-hand menu on Incubator site. This is just
a reminder that it should happen sooner rather than later...

 - Kato
 - Stonehenge

Cheers
Niclas

Re: remember when each project report is due

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Clearly my chance never came, so let's make it happen now.
>
> The task itself is trivial - send an email to each email address listed
> in a file once a month, using a different file for each of a three month
> rotation cycle.
>
> Now, the questions are:
>
>  1. What date do we send the email out on?

Make it as easy as possible for everyone.
I suggest just send on the first day of the month.

Going by the list at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
Section 4, that would amount to between 9-14 days to get
their report in.

The tricky part is that someone needs to populate
each monthly wiki page with the current list, to be ready
for the podling reports.
I have been doing it each month, early in the month.
This time Niclas already has it done, ready for next month.

>  2. Do we, and if so when do we, send reminder emails?

I say no. These podlings need to be independent and interested.

>  3. What do the emails say?
>  4. What date do we state in the below email?

Keep it simple, don't provide a date.

They can look at that month's report template, e.g.
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2009
The date and other instructions are stated load and clear.
Also stated at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/

> Attempt to answer 3 is:

> Dear <PODLING>-dev,
>
> Your latest report to the Apache Board is required by XX/XX/XXXX. Please
> ensure it is posted to http://incubator.apache.org/MonthYYYY, by the end
> of that day.
>
> Please ensure you provide a summary of your project at the beginning of
> the report and provide an answer to the question "What are the next
> steps your project needs to take to move towards graduation". You should
> also provide details of any new committers, PPMC members, product
> releases and so on, as well as anything else that might seem significant
> to you.
>
> Mentors - once the report has been posted to the Incubator Wiki, please
> 'sign' it to show that you have read the report.
>
> Incubator PMC

Seems okay. It could be simpler, as everything is aleady stated
at the top of each wiki report page, e.g.
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2009

One thing that i would like to have clearly stated, is that this
report is up to each project's group of committers, and should not
be left to the mentors.

-David

Re: remember when each project report is due

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Craig L Russell wrote:
> >
> > What I was thinking is to have email lists generated for each podling,
> > so email could be sent out to the people who care.
> >
> > For example, in http://incubator.apache.org/report_due_1.txt I'd like
> > to see
> >
> > <Imperius dev list>imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org, <Imperius Mentor
> > Craig Russell>clr@apache.org, <Imperius Mentor Bill
> > Stoddard>stoddard@apache.org , <Imperius Mentor Filip
> > Hanik>filip@apache.org, ...

I get concerned about publishing lists of email addresses
in an easy-to-use form.

Should i be, or are committer details already out there
so much that it does not matter?
e.g. http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html

> Some data is already available. See the generated
> Python pickle file:
> http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#data
>
> We have dev list addresses and mentor names, but not
> mentor email addresses.
>
> I see one solution. The main "Incubation Table" at
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/
> could have ASF committer IDs in brackets after
> their names. Then clutch could gather that data.
>
> We also need an automated notice to general@ which
> lists all projects that are due each month.
>
> I am wary about extending Clutch's operations too far.
> It is already a clumsy oaf, thanks to my non-modular
> programming.
>
> I will generate the report_due_*.txt to have each dev
> list address.

That part is done now.

> ... Later we can add the mentor addresses.
> So whoever develops the application to send the mail
> can either parse that, or use the "Python pickle file"
> directly.

-David

Re: remember when each project report is due

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Craig L Russell wrote:

> Thanks for making Clutch and extending it to make it even better.
[ snip ]

Thanks for your feedback. Keep it coming.

> What I was thinking is to have email lists generated for each podling,
> so email could be sent out to the people who care.
>
> For example, in http://incubator.apache.org/report_due_1.txt I'd like
> to see
>
> <Imperius dev list>imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org, <Imperius Mentor
> Craig Russell>clr@apache.org, <Imperius Mentor Bill
> Stoddard>stoddard@apache.org , <Imperius Mentor Filip
> Hanik>filip@apache.org, ...

Some data is already available. See the generated
Python pickle file:
http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#data

We have dev list addresses and mentor names, but not
mentor email addresses.

I see one solution. The main "Incubation Table" at
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/
could have ASF committer IDs in brackets after
their names. Then clutch could gather that data.

We also need an automated notice to general@ which
lists all projects that are due each month.

I am wary about extending Clutch's operations too far.
It is already a clumsy oaf, thanks to my non-modular
programming.

I will generate the report_due_*.txt to have each dev
list address. Later we can add the mentor addresses.
So whoever develops the application to send the mail
can either parse that, or use the "Python pickle file"
directly.

> Interim to someone with their own itch to automate email, it would be
> easy (for someone) to copy/paste the list of email addresses into a
> Marvin-style email subject: Podling reports are due by March 10...
>
> If the information to generate the email addresses is not available in
> the form needed, let's see how to make it available, for example
> update the STATUS file to include the reminder email addresses.

However, as Clutch shows, many projects just don't attend
to their status files. So that is not reliable. Clutch
tries to find other ways to supplement that data.

-David

Re: remember when each project report is due

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi David,

On Feb 17, 2009, at 10:41 PM, David Crossley wrote:

> Okay, Clutch now re-generates those files every time
> it runs.
>
> report_due_1.txt is for group-1 (Jan,Apr,Jul,Oct)
> report_due_2.txt is for group-2 (Feb,May,Aug,Nov)
> report_due_3.txt is for group-3 (Mar,Jun,Sep,Dec)
>
> e.g. cat report_due_2.txt
> BlueSky Cassandra Droids ESME Kato Lokahi PDFBox PhotArk Pivot Sling
> Stonehenge VCL WSRP4J XAP
>
> Please say if you want a different format or
> additional text in the files.

What I was thinking is to have email lists generated for each podling,
so email could be sent out to the people who care.

For example, in http://incubator.apache.org/report_due_1.txt I'd like
to see

<Imperius dev list>imperius-dev@incubator.apache.org, <Imperius Mentor
Craig Russell>clr@apache.org, <Imperius Mentor Bill Stoddard>stoddard@apache.org
, <Imperius Mentor Filip Hanik>filip@apache.org, ...

Interim to someone with their own itch to automate email, it would be
easy (for someone) to copy/paste the list of email addresses into a
Marvin-style email subject: Podling reports are due by March 10...

If the information to generate the email addresses is not available in
the form needed, let's see how to make it available, for example
update the STATUS file to include the reminder email addresses.

Craig

> Would you or someone else please handle the cron job
> to send the email.

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: remember when each project report is due

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
sebb wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> >  e.g. cat report_due_2.txt
> >  BlueSky Cassandra Droids ESME Kato Lokahi PDFBox PhotArk Pivot Sling Stonehenge VCL WSRP4J XAP
>
> [from the peanut gallery:]
>
> AFAICS that format will be problematical should a podling have one or
> more spaces in its name. Also, it would be easier to interpret
> differences if there is one line per podling.

Yes, i wondered about all that. Will do it.

Thanks.

-David

Re: remember when each project report is due

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Upayavira wrote:

> > > Could clutch in some way be used to mimic Marvin for the Incubator?
> > >
> > > I for one would really appreciate an email each month saying what
> > > projects need to report.
> > >
> > > Could simply be group1.html, group2.html and group3.html mailed to
> > > general@ rotating every month.
> >
> > The goal of Clutch is to gather data. It is run
> > on an ad hoc basis.
>
> Yes. All I had in mind is that clutch generate three files, month1.txt,
> month2.txt and month3.txt. Then, a separate process could mail
> month($month % 3 +1).txt to general@ every month. Simple, crude, but it
> would work.

That is nice.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html
>
> Could clutch in some way be used to mimic Marvin for the Incubator?
>
> I for one would really appreciate an email each month saying what
> projects need to report.
>
> Could simply be group1.html, group2.html and group3.html mailed to
> general@ rotating every month.

The goal of Clutch is to gather data. It is run
on an ad hoc basis.

Other separate jobs can use that data. Perhaps a simple
cron job to read the data and send the email.

http://incubator.apache.org/clutch.html#data

To view the data, do:

]$ cd /asf/svn/incubator (i.e. your local SVN working copy)
]$ python clutch2data.py

Also one of the Incubator PMC members will manually initialise
each month's reporting page early in the month.
e.g. http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2009

-David

Re: Projects not in Incubator project menu.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
a basic status file and link committed. need to start filling in the
content but that can wait till it's sync'd

- robert

Fwd: Projects not in Incubator project menu.

Posted by Sonal Goyal <so...@gmail.com>.
Just in case this got missed..
Thanks and Regards,
Sonal