Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch> on 2001/11/21 11:14:21 UTC

[REDESIGN] Proposal: ProblemListener

Hello Karen, Keiron and others interested...

I've been using FOP in a specially modified version derived from version
0.15 (CVS), because I had to have some special duplex functionality. Now,
I'm in a major redesign of the application and I'm going to do the
duplexing stuff differently. That way I'll be able to stick to the
standards and can use a more current version of FOP. And that's where I
stumbled upon my code that tries (!) to determine if a FOP job should be
considered success or failure (for example because of layout problems etc.).

Basically what I'd like to have is some kind of ProblemListener (similar
to the ErrorListener in JAXP 1.1 (javax.xml.transform.ErrorListener))
which reports (especially) layout problems separated from other errors.
In a production system you will want to have better control over what
should go through and what not. The logging output is not really suitable
for this. A default ProblemListener should probably do the logging of
problems.

I think I can identify 3 kinds of problems (are there more?):
- FO(+SVG?) problem (ex. only one flow per page-sequence permitted)
- Layout problem (ex. "Sum of fixed column widths 348659 greater than
  maximum specified IPD 340158", the cryptic ">")
- environmental problem (IOExceptions etc.)

I'd love to hear what you think about this. I'm sorry not to be more of
a help right now. I'm really aching to do some things in FOP (especially
the PSRenderer and reworking static stuff) but I simply don't have the
time. I hope very much to be able to help again starting Feb 2002, maybe
sooner. Got to get that big project going first...

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch

could you help me in finding Fop application

Posted by BRAHMA <br...@emis-intl.com>.
Hi all,

          I have generated  fop.jar and I did not find org.apache.fop.apps.Fop
to execute the applications.Can you help me.

regards
brahma

Re: [REDESIGN] Proposal: ProblemListener

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
On 2001.11.22 11:58 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Hello Keiron
>
> Aaahh, sounds good to me. Just to be sure: For layout problems such as
> overflows the FO "overflow" property tells the user agent if an
> error condition has to be signaled. But what about things such as images
> that couldn't be loaded. I can imagine that this might not always be a
> condition to throw an Exception, especially maybe for FO editors using
> FOP for preview or during development, when you don't want FOP to stop
> as soon as problem occurs. In this case the user agent would probably be
> configured to halt or continue when a problem occurs. And the user agent
> would be the central point of problem handling instead my idea of a
> ProblemListener. Right?

Yes, that sounds like the general idea.
If we try to minimise and centralise the way that people can
configure/debug/use/customise/embed etc. then it should make things easier.
There is certainly more thought and design that will need to go into
getting it right.

> And by the way: I'm really happy to see MessageHandler go! One more step
> towards a multithreading-friendly FOP. This is great!

Still more to go but each step helps.

Re: [REDESIGN] Proposal: ProblemListener

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
Hello Keiron

Posted by Keiron Liddle <ke...@aftexsw.com>.
Hello Jeremias,