Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com> on 2001/05/01 08:36:11 UTC

Re: James & MySQL

Steve Cockwell wrote:
> I posted a message about this error a few weeks ago to the list (I hope
> :-)

"Few weeks ago..." Hey, I had not joined the list :-)

>The problem is that message_name and repository_name fields in your
> MySQL database need be primary keys (together).  message_name itself
> cannot as it seems to be duplicated when the processors are moving the
> mail between repositories...
>
> Here is your create statement:
>
> CREATE DATABASE mail;
>
> use mail;
>
> CREATE TABLE Message (
>         message_name varchar (128) NOT NULL ,
>         repository_name varchar (128) NOT NULL ,

I have changed the table according to the above statement;
unfortunately, after I changed the mailet entry to the following:
<!-- Attempt remote delivery using the specified repository for the
spool, using delay time to retry delivery and the maximum number of
retries -->
  <mailet match="All" class="RemoteDelivery">
    <!-- <outgoing> file://../var/mail/outgoing/ </outgoing> -->
    <outgoing> town://mail-outgoing </outgoing>
    <delayTime> 21600000 </delayTime>
    <maxRetries> 5 </maxRetries>
  </mailet>
the problem still persist. When the server was started, I had the
following:
2001.05.01 12:58:43 795 Channel default opened

BTW, would there be no problem if the length of the message_name and
repository_name were shortened to 128 characters? Originally, they were
200 characters; which would raise problem because the total length of
MySQL primary keys are 256 chars.

> As far as email attachments go, James 1.2.1 has a restriction on the
> attachment size (the input stream cannot exceed 1MB it would seem).

I can only send about 300Kbytes of attachment.

> There is no way to change this in 1.2.1, and the latest James from CVS
> still has some bugs in the TOWN: repository that prevent it from working
> at all.

I use 1.2.1rc2; it seems to be working fine. (Well, if only you didn't
put all the repositories on the database.)

>So right now, you cannot use James if you want reasonably large
> attachments, unless you (as you've suggested) split the attachments up
> over several messages.

I think it's a Netscape/Mozilla problem. They have to support the
auto-split feature.

Regarding attachments, sending them is a lot faster then retrieving
them. I use Netscape mail 4.7x. The difference is really noticeable. I
don't know, it could be the POP protocol that caused it. Could it be
possible that retrieving data from MySQL database is slower than putting
them in?

BTW, the message_body is stored in longblob type; but you can still see
the contents by retrieving the data via mysql client program. Why is
that...? I don't want to see others' email contents (I don't care,
actually). But even in longblob, you can read the messages. How
difficult is it in implementing a mailet which encrypts every single
message it handles? At what cost? (In terms of CPU power consumption.) I
have implemented MD5 hash on the Users table (so that the passwords are
stored in encrypted form); pretty interesting, I think (because I have
been thinking on implementing MD5 for users' password on _Sendmail_ :-).
Without James, it would have been weeks (or months, or years...)

Oki

Re: James and Jetspeed

Posted by B E N <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, I'm running James 1.2.1rc2 on Win2K as well. I had some problems when I
first
started configuring James. After much struggling, I came to know that I'd
edited the wrong portion of the config file (Top portion is actually a
remark) The actual userid/password setting for RemoteAdmin is in line 158

Does your Telnet session successfully connected to RemoteAdmin ? If yes,
check the userid/password setting for RemoteAdmin (line 158). Another tip is
to set local echo on before connecting to RemoteAdmin so that u know you
won't go wrong on the typing. Just type "set local_echo" before connecting
to RemoteAdmin.

Good Luck!

ben

Posted by scott <sc...@internetvillages.net>.
Hi Steve

I need your war file also. Could you email it to me also.

Thanks a lot

-Scott

Re: James and Jetspeed

Re: James and Jetspeed

Posted by B E N <be...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, can I have a copy of the servlet war file too. Thanks

ben

Re: James and Jetspeed

RE: James and Jetspeed

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

Re: James and Jetspeed

Re: James & MySQL

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Charles Benett wrote:
> Can't this be handled by MySQL's access control mechanisms? Create a
> mysql user for james and only give it access on the relevant db/tables.

When you have full control to the access control mechanism, providing a
"root" password that even you don't remember is not an option I guess.

> Yes, we need to encrypt user passwords.

Feel free to compile the code I posted yesterday; all you need to do is:
- put the file in <James install
directory>/src/org/apache/james/userrepository
- have it to be named as UsersTownRepositoryMD5.java
- get the MD5.java file
- put "package encrypt;" on the first line of the file
- save it in <James install directory>/encrypt directory
- compile it; javac MD5.java
- (replace /usr/local/james below with your <James install directory>)
- compile the UsersTownRepositoryMD5.java; it's pretty long, hang on,
javac -classpath
/usr/local/james/src/encrypt:/usr/local/james/lib/AvalonAware.jar:/usr/local/james/lib/mailet.jar:/usr/local/james/lib/activation.jar:/usr/local/james/lib/town.jar:/usr/local/james/src
UsersTownRepositoryMD5.java
- create backup for the original JAMES.jar; cp
/usr/local/james/bin/blocks/JAMES.jar
/usr/local/james/bin/blocks/JAMES.jar-orig
- add the new compiled classes into the JAMES.jar; cd
/usr/local/james/src; jar uvf /usr/local/james/bin/blocks/JAMES.jar
org/apache/james/userrepository/*class encrypt/*class
- edit the /usr/local/james/conf/JAMES.conf.xml; replace
org.apache.james.userrepository.UsersTownRepository with
org.apache.james.userrepository.UsersTownRepositoryMD5
- restart the mail server

Hopefully, the encrypted password would be supported on the next release
of James.
BTW, please use the directions above as an inspiration only; I don't
remember the exact lines (when you execute the commands, the shell will
prompt you if there's something wrong).

Oki

Re: James & MySQL

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Ivan wrote:

> do you know where to download James?

It's on the website:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.html
and look for James 1.2.1 on the Release Builds section.

BTW, I use 1.2.1rc2; I don't remember where I got it from, but if you
really need it, I can send it to you by email.

Oki

RE: James & MySQL

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
look on the apache jakarta website under "downloads"

Re: James & MySQL

Posted by Ivan <iv...@abac.com>.

Re: James & MySQL

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.

Re: James & MySQL

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Danny Angus wrote:
> Is the need to split messages part of the RFC or a restriction imposed by
> James, I don't like it, James isn't transparent to me as a user.

It's by James, I believe; which might be good. As I understand it, POP
protocol is not quite reliable (there are times that your messages are
simply disappear, usually when you have a not quite good Internet
connection).

> if retrieveing them involves processing them, that would slow things down.

Sending them out means storing the messages on the mail repository on
the database, and retrieving them means, well, retrieving the data from
the database. Database-wise, it's pretty straightforward, the same
procedures but different directions.

> and in files repositories

I see; and I'm not interested in giving up the root privilege.

Oki

RE: James & MySQL

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> >So right now, you cannot use James if you want reasonably large
> > attachments, unless you (as you've suggested) split the attachments up
> > over several messages.
>
> I think it's a Netscape/Mozilla problem. They have to support the
> auto-split feature.

Is the need to split messages part of the RFC or a restriction imposed by
James, I don't like it, James isn't transparent to me as a user.

> Regarding attachments, sending them is a lot faster then retrieving
> them. I use Netscape mail 4.7x. The difference is really noticeable. I
> don't know, it could be the POP protocol that caused it. Could it be
> possible that retrieving data from MySQL database is slower than putting
> them in?

if retrieveing them involves processing them, that would slow things down.

> BTW, the message_body is stored in longblob type; but you can still see
> the contents by retrieving the data via mysql client program. Why is
> that...?

because thats what MySQL does, it displays Blobs as byte strings, so you get
ASCII characters on your screen..

Re: James & MySQL

Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com>.
Peter Donald wrote:
> If you mean encryption before placing in DB - I would say thats overkill

There are people who are riding 300-400bhp cars; yet, the top speed
they've ever reached might not be more than 100mph. But, they look proud
to me... ;-)

Anyway, I just didn't want to inadvertently see others' emails; it's so
easy, all you need is "select * from Message".

> IMHO but if you mean encryption before message goes out then that would be
> interesting ;) Unfortunately there is not enough compliant clients and
> there is multiple technologies to do it with (pgp vs smime). It would be
> interesting though ;)

If implementing mailets is much more easier (than the competing
technologies; in mail servers), wouldn't it be more plausible to
implement encrypted email between the James servers? The handshake
protocol is already there, you already have "helo"; "Hello, I'm James.
Are you?" If yes, then exchange the messages using encryption. (But I'm
wondering, the public/private keys handled by each mail server would
grow exponentially.)

> That would be useful - would you consider sending a patch to the dev list ;)

Well, I think it's a quick-hack; mostly written using cut-and-paste
technique. I'm not a member of the dev. list either. So, I'd put it
here, and hope somebody will have time to create the correct patch, and
hope that nobody would be upset for seeing some code on this list.
The original MD5.java was taken from
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~jonh/md5/MD5.java.

I was wondering why the UsersTownRepository.class is not ready to be
subclassed; so that I had to have redundant conndefinition and
tableName. It's quite probable that the class was written with an
intention not to be subclassed; anyone has to implement the
UsersRepository interface. It may be a good design. But in real life,
there are people who are too lazy to write all the methods (as defined
in the interface) and would like to do subclassing instead. I believe,
even if their number is pretty small, they have to be considered in.
(They might be thinking, "why reinvent the wheel?" Err... the methods I
should say :-)

Cheers,
Oki
ps: [OT] Is there a word like "emails" in English...?

package org.apache.james.userrepository;

import org.apache.avalon.blocks.*;
import org.apache.avalon.*;
import org.apache.avalon.utils.*;
import java.util.*;
import java.io.*;
import com.workingdogs.town.*;
// MD5.java has no package name, so I put it on "encrypt" package.
// It seems that JDK 1.3 doesn't like default packages.
import encrypt.*;

public class UsersTownRepositoryMD5 extends UsersTownRepository {
    private String conndefinition;
    private String tableName;
    //  System defined logger funtion
    private ComponentManager comp;
    private Logger logger;

    public UsersTownRepositoryMD5() {
	super();
    }

    public void setConfiguration(Configuration conf) {
	super.setConfiguration(conf);
        conndefinition = conf.getConfiguration("conn").getValue();
        tableName = conf.getConfiguration("table").getValue("Users");
    }

    public void setComponentManager(ComponentManager comp) {
	super.setComponentManager(comp);
        this.comp = comp;
        // Store logger
        this.logger = (Logger) comp.getComponent(Interfaces.LOGGER);
    }

    public synchronized void addUser(String strUserName, Object
attributes) {
	MD5 md5;
	byte buf[];
	byte out[] = new byte[16];
	int rc;
	String md5passwd;

	md5 = new MD5();
	buf = attributes.toString().getBytes();
	md5.update(buf, buf.length);
	md5.md5final(out);
	md5passwd = dumpBytes(out);
	try {
	    TableDataSet MRUser =
		new TableDataSet(ConnDefinition.getInstance(conndefinition),
tableName);
            MRUser.setWhere("username = '" + strUserName+"'");
            Record user = null;
            if (MRUser.size() == 0) {
                // file://Add new user
                user = MRUser.addRecord();
                user.setValue("username", strUserName);
                user.setValue("password", md5passwd);
                user.save();
            } else {
                // file://User already exists: reject add
                logger.log("User "+strUserName+" already exists.",
                "UserManager", logger.WARNING);  // old Avalon logger
format
            }
        } catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
            throw new RuntimeException("Exception caught while storing
user: " + e);
        }
    }

    public boolean test(String strUserName, Object attributes) {
	MD5 md5;
	byte buf[];
	byte out[] = new byte[16];
	int rc;
	String md5passwd;

	md5 = new MD5();
	buf = attributes.toString().getBytes();
	md5.update(buf, buf.length);
	md5.md5final(out);
	md5passwd = dumpBytes(out);
        try {
            TableDataSet MRUser =
		new TableDataSet(ConnDefinition.getInstance(conndefinition),
tableName);
            MRUser.setWhere("username = '" + strUserName + "'");
            if (MRUser.size() > 0) {
                // UserName exists - check if the password is OK
                Record user = MRUser.getRecord(0);
                return(user.getAsString("Password").equals(md5passwd));
            } else {
                // file://UserName does not exist
                logger.log("User "+strUserName+" doesn't exist",
"UserManager", logger.WARNING);
                return(false);
            }
        } catch (Exception e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
            throw new RuntimeException("Exception caught while testing
UserName: " + e.getMessage());
        }
    }

    // private methods, pasted from MD5.java
    private static String dumpBytes(byte[] bytes) {
	int i;
	StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();
	for (i=0; i<bytes.length; i++) {
	    if (i%32 == 0 && i!=0) {
		sb.append("\n");
	    }
	    String s = Integer.toHexString(bytes[i]);
	    if (s.length() < 2) {
		s = "0"+s;
	    }
	    if (s.length() > 2) {
		s = s.substring(s.length()-2);
	    }
	    sb.append(s);
	}
	return sb.toString();
    }

}

Re: James & MySQL

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 01:36  1/5/01 +0700, Oki DZ wrote:
>BTW, the message_body is stored in longblob type; but you can still see
>the contents by retrieving the data via mysql client program. Why is
>that...? I don't want to see others' email contents (I don't care,
>actually). But even in longblob, you can read the messages. How
>difficult is it in implementing a mailet which encrypts every single
>message it handles? At what cost? (In terms of CPU power consumption.)

If you mean encryption before placing in DB - I would say thats overkill
IMHO but if you mean encryption before message goes out then that would be
interesting ;) Unfortunately there is not enough compliant clients and
there is multiple technologies to do it with (pgp vs smime). It would be
interesting though ;)

>have implemented MD5 hash on the Users table (so that the passwords are
>stored in encrypted form); pretty interesting, I think (because I have
>been thinking on implementing MD5 for users' password on _Sendmail_ :-).

That would be useful - would you consider sending a patch to the dev list ;)
Cheers,

Pete