Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/03/11 12:00:19 UTC

Rename "iotp" to "iot-ibm" or similar?

Hi all,

I am currently thinking of adding modules to support other IoT Platforms:

  *   Google IoT
  *   AWS IoT
  *   Siemens MindSphere

For that the “iotp” sort of doesn’t quite fit as it’s not just “one” IoT platform.
So would you be ok with renaming that to something like: “iot-ibm” or similar?

Then we’d have:

  *   Iot-ibm
  *   Iot-aws
  *   Iot-google
  *   Iot-mindsphere/siemens

Chris

Re: Rename "iotp" to "iot-ibm" or similar?

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, “iotp” isn’t very clear/helpful.  I’ve often used “wiotp” when referring to “Watson IoT Platform”.
FWIW, wiotp's API’s base package name is com.ibm.iotf (IoT Framework) and Edgent’s connector was originally named “iotf”.  Then renamed when they changed the name, but not package name, to “IoT Platform”.

+1 on a good naming scheme :-)

Adding “ibm” and/or “watson” to the [package] name seems like a reasonable idea.

Don’t forget about the “iotp" samples, website doc, recipes, and backward compatibility :-(  Probably have to deprecate but retain the old names.

— Dale

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi,

Posted by vino yang <ya...@gmail.com>.