Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk> on 2016/07/07 11:00:12 UTC

JDK version for Groovy

Is it still required to have 1.6 as a base JDK version for new Groovy
releases?

Isn't it time to say if you are still on JDK1.6 then stick with the
Groovy you have?

This could be said for JDK7 of course since it is EOL.

--

Russel.

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Cédric Champeau
<ce...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 07.07.2016 17:25, Cédric Champeau wrote:
>>>
>>> Gradle 3.0 will require JDK 7. Gradle 2.x can run on JDK 6. I'm not a
>>> big fan of "backporting". To me it's easier to complete 2.5 with JDK 7
>>> now, then switch master to 3.0 and upgrade to JDK 8 there.
>>

>> Gradle 3 is the only reason to even make the switch from JDK6 to JDK8. I
>> imagine if we would not want to use Gradle3 we would still switch to JDK8 or
>> newer in Groovy 3, but stay with JDK6 otherwise.
>

> Gradle 3.0 is JDK 7+ only. It's also the only one compatible with JDK 9. Our
> `master` branch is already using Gradle 3.0, but we didn't make a call
> regarding support of JDK 6 for 2.5.

What's a timeline for Gradle 3.0 GA?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

> On 07.07.2016 17:25, Cédric Champeau wrote:
>
>> Gradle 3.0 will require JDK 7. Gradle 2.x can run on JDK 6. I'm not a
>> big fan of "backporting". To me it's easier to complete 2.5 with JDK 7
>> now, then switch master to 3.0 and upgrade to JDK 8 there.
>>

> Gradle 3 is the only reason to even make the switch from JDK6 to JDK8. I
> imagine if we would not want to use Gradle3 we would still switch to JDK8
> or newer in Groovy 3, but stay with JDK6 otherwise.

Gradle 3.0 is JDK 7+ only. It's also the only one compatible with JDK 9.
Our `master` branch is already using Gradle 3.0, but we didn't make a call
regarding support of JDK 6 for 2.5.

> One of the
>> reasons I would consider this decision touchy is that Gradle would then
>> not be able to migrate to Gradle 3, at least until Gradle 4.0. But,
>> given the large number of plugins written in Groovy today, upgrading
>> would be a problem anyway if Groovy 3 breaks binary compatibility.
>>

> What do you think will be the smallest relatively realistic time frame for
> the arrival of Gradle 4? About 2 years again?

Hard to say, we're growing fast so it could be quicker, but between 1 and 2
years is reasonable.

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
On 08.07.2016 15:22, Remi Forax wrote:
> Hi Jochen,
> javac doesn't allow you to compile a code with -source 1.7 and -target 1.6
> you have to use a tool like ASM for that and i think it was rule out by Cedric or Guillaume.

sure, we would stay with 1.6 source then

bye Jochen

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Remi Forax <fo...@univ-mlv.fr>.
Hi Jochen,
javac doesn't allow you to compile a code with -source 1.7 and -target 1.6
you have to use a tool like ASM for that and i think it was rule out by Cedric or Guillaume.

cheers,
Rémi

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.
Gradle 3.0 will require JDK 7. Gradle 2.x can run on JDK 6. I'm not a big
fan of "backporting". To me it's easier to complete 2.5 with JDK 7 now,
then switch master to 3.0 and upgrade to JDK 8 there. One of the reasons I

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Guillaume Laforge <gl...@gmail.com>.
This sounds reasonable to me too.
For Groovy 3, since we've not yet really decided any time scale, we might
even go with 9 then :-) but we've got time to decide for that one!

Re: JDK version for Groovy

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.