Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Marc Pawlowsky <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/29 19:22:16 UTC

svn file compatibility 1.6, 1.8 on Fedora 20

I am on two different hosts with different SVN versions.

Host1  is using svn client 1.6.18 and checks out all the files.
Host2 is using svn client 1.8.8 and using NFS works on the same files as
Host1. e.g. The actual files are shared across machines, not copies.

I cannot upgrade the files with svn upgrade, since the files must irk on
host1.

Can someone please confirm that svn 1.8.8 cannot work on the files that
were checked out with the older version.

host2$ svn info libs
svn: E155036: Please see the 'svn upgrade' command
svn: E155036: The working copy at 'xxx/libs'
is too old (format 10) to work with client version '1.8.8 (r1568071)'
(expects format 31). You need to upgrade the working copy.

My expectation would be that the newer client would be able to work with
the older files without having to upgrade them, just not supporting the
newer features.

Failing that, how do I install svn 1.6.8 on Fedora 2?  I tried to install
subversion-1.6.17-5.fc16.x86_64.rpm, and I tried building from rpm source
but there are too many incompatible libraries.

Thanks in advance,

Marc

Re: svn file compatibility 1.6, 1.8 on Fedora 20

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Marc Pawlowsky,
am Samstag, 29. März 2014 um 19:22 schrieben Sie:

> Can someone please confirm that svn 1.8.8 cannot work on the files
> that were checked out with the older version.

It's documented in the release notes:

https://subversion.apache.org/docs/release-notes/1.8.html

> Failing that, how do I install svn 1.6.8 on Fedora 2?  I tried to
> install subversion-1.6.17-5.fc16.x86_64.rpm, and I tried building
> from rpm source but there are too many incompatible libraries.

Does that mean that installing 1.8 works, but 1.6 does not? Can you
try to upgrade the older client on host1 then?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning       E-Mail:Thorsten.Schoening@AM-SoFT.de