Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dimitri Papadopoulos-Orfanos <pa...@shfj.cea.fr> on 2005/09/16 16:09:09 UTC

backup and logs

Hi,

I'm moving from Perforce to Subversion and I'm having trouble
understanding how to implement backups, specifically in connection with
logs.

With Perforce, the repository ("depot") and the logs ("journal")
typically live on separate disks. If the repository disk fails, you
restore the repository from the latest "checkpoint" available from
backup, then use the journals accumulated since the "checkpoint" - still
available on the other disk.
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.051/manuals/p4sag/01_install.html#1049020
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/doc.051/manuals/p4sag/02_backup.html#1047307

With Subversion, the repository and logs live in the same directory.
Therefore it looks like Subversion logs cannot be used to restore the
repository from the latest available "hot copy" in case of disk failure,
since both the repository and the logs would be lost.

For backup purposes, are Subversion's "incremental dumps" the equivalent
of Perforce's "journals"? That's what I understand from the Subversion book:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch05s03.html#svn-ch-5-sect-3.6

Dimitri Papadopoulos