Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by preeti agarwal <pr...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/09 15:31:02 UTC

[TRINIDAD] Header rendering multiple times.

Description of problem : I have an xhtml page in which I use trininad
components (like tablelayout) and also tomahawk components (like form). I
have used some usual HTML components along with it. First time the page is
rendered correctly. But anysubsequent refresh causes the header to render
multiple times. I suspect it might have something to do with state saving.
Can anyone help me with this?

PS: I originally suspected that it had something to do with mixing of
incompatible HTML div and Trinidad components.Changing <div> to <t:div>
didn't solve the issue.

Re: [TRINIDAD] Header rendering multiple times.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
Ooooh!

I'll have to check but if that works then it's a work-around for some of my
use-cases where this bug is really biting me in the arse...

Now if only I could convince the template authors that we have to use to
replace tomahawk components with trinidad only components...

-Stephen

Posted by Luka Surija <lu...@iytim.hr>.
Hi,
i'm not using any other components beside Trinidad

Luka Surija

[TRINIDAD] t:savestate vs. pageFlowScope (was: Header rendering multiple times.)

Posted by Joachim Schrod <js...@acm.org>.
Bart Kummel wrote:

Hi Bart,

>>  What do you use as the Trinidad replacement for t:savestate, as a method to
>>  cache request-scoped beans on the same page? E.g., to avoid the need for
>>  another database roundtrip in postback or redirect requests.
>>
>>  I know pageFlowScope, but it is more inconvenient to use and has also a
>>  slightly different focus, AFAIU.
>>
> The pageFlowScope is *the* alternative for<t:savestate>. I don't see why
> pageFlowScope is less convenient.

As far as I understand, with pageFlowScope, you have to care for
the lifetime of your beans yourself in your Java code. I.e., one
has to call clear() or remove() when the bean is not needed any more.

For the use case of communicating between pages, this might be OK.
For the use case of keeping a request-scoped bean cached in the
*same* page (e.g., because it needs a database round-trip to get
the data), it's very inconvenient. If the user leaves such a page
with t:savestate and changes to an other application part, my bean
is gone eventually. With pageFlowScope, I have to take care *in
that application part* to invalidate my bean, and that coupling of
view and model is bad, IMNSHO.

Let me present a simple example: An app with two pages,

  1) a list page with items from a database. Every time that page
     is »entered«, the list should be retrieved anew. In the page,
     there are actions to sort or filter the list. Using these
     actions is not considered »entering the page«, i.e., for these
     actions, the list last retrieved should be used. (These are
     operations on the list, not on the database content.)

  2) An entry page where you can enter a new item for this list.

With t:savestate, I would have the list bean persistent in the list
page, but not in the entry page.

How to do this with pageFlowScope? It's clear that I want neither
session-scope nor request-scope for my item list bean. It's easy to
put the list into pageFlowScope the first time I enter the list
page. But then, I have to remember to remove the list bean *in any
action* where I leave my list page.[*] Respectively, I have to add
my own pageFlowScope bean management code to a PhaseListener, to
not duplicate that code.

Or, where do I get this wrong, and where is the simple design
pattern to handle that use case? (Which is, actually a very common
use case in the apps that I'm writing currently, although with a
bit more complex action relationships.)

Any comments would really be appreciated,

	Joachim

[*] I'm aware that this example is too simple to show the use case
exactly. Here there is only one action to fill the list bean, and I
could simply leave it in the pageFlowScope until it is reset by the
next call of that action. But in practice I have more complex
action relationships. So I'm looking for a solution that doesn't
clutter pageFlowScope with lots of beans that are not in use any
more by the current dialog state. IMHO, that's just good
programming style; otherwise I could often use session-scoped
beans. That's the beauty of t:savestate as I see it: For the use
case above, it keeps my active set of beans clean without me having
to write Java code.

Joachim Schrod				Email: jschrod@acm.org
Roedermark, Germany

Re: [TRINIDAD] Header rendering multiple times.

Posted by Bart Kummel <bk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joachim,

The pageFlowScope is *the* alternative for <t:savestate>. I don't see why
pageFlowScope is less convenient. I admit you'll have to get used to it. But
in the end, I think pageFlowScope is a more structural solution. And
pageFlowScope is more versatile, as it can be used across pages too.

You should also be aware that JSF 2.0 uses a similar solution to this
problem. So by getting used to pageFlowScope you are already preparing
yourself for a switch to JSF 2.0...

Best regards,
Bart

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 15:38, Joachim Schrod <js...@acm.org> wrote:

> Bart Kummel wrote:
>
> Hello,
>

>> Why are you mixing Tomahawk and Trinidad components? Apart from some
>> special
>> cases (e.g. captcha and schedule) there are Trinidad alternatives to every
>> Tomahawk component.
>>

> What do you use as the Trinidad replacement for t:savestate, as a method to
> cache request-scoped beans on the same page? E.g., to avoid the need for
> another database roundtrip in postback or redirect requests.
>
> I know pageFlowScope, but it is more inconvenient to use and has also a
> slightly different focus, AFAIU.
>
>        Joachim
>
> --
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> Joachim Schrod                          Email: jschrod@acm.org
> Roedermark, Germany

Bart Kummel

Posted by Joachim Schrod <js...@acm.org>.

Hello,

Posted by Bart Kummel <bk...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by preeti agarwal <pr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luka Surija <lu...@iytim.hr>.
I also have the same experience with this problem.

Switching from state_saving_method from server to client (trinidad
token), on every action where navigation is null (probably something to
do with component tree not rebuilding), most non JSF tags are
duplicating on every request.

For example

<hr />

Initial state:

test
-------
test2
invoke

1. click:
test
-------
-------
test2
invoke

2. click
test
--------
--------
--------
--------
test2
invoke

and every next click duplicates most of non JSF tags from previous state

Environment:
Glassfish v2.1.1.
Trinidad 1.2.14-snapshot
Facelets 1.1.13

Luka Surija

+385 1 61 99 140
+385 98 434 061
luka@iytim.hr

I.Y. tim d.o.o.
Nova cesta 171a, HR-10000 Zagreb
www.iytim.hr
info@iytim.hr

Posted by Samba <sa...@gmail.com>.
hey,

Is it possible that when we explicitly removed the mention of state saving
mechanism from web.xml configuration; that every component library is
choosing its own default rather and that could be causing things correctly?

here is my take at it:

1. state saving configured to client-- Trinidad components work fine but
some tomahawk components have isssues
2. state saving configured to server-- Tomahawk components and JSF RI
components work correctly, but some trinidad
    componetns show some issues.
3. state saving method explicitly removed so that each component library
picks up its own default mechanism for saving and       restoring the
component's state; thus harmoniously ork with each other with out any issues

I'm just guessing but it would be better if this analysis I put forward in
the above three points holds true for any JSF librar, so that developers can
build pages and applications with the best components available in the
market; (OSS or proprietary).

Regards,
Samba

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.