Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2020/02/26 17:50:33 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 3.0.0 released

Dear community,

Apache CouchDB® 3.0.0 has been released and is available for download.

Apache CouchDB® lets you access your data where you need it. The Couch Replication Protocol is implemented in a variety of projects and products that span every imaginable computing environment from globally distributed server-clusters, over mobile phones to web browsers.

Store your data safely, on your own servers, or with any leading cloud provider. Your web- and native applications love CouchDB, because it speaks JSON natively and supports binary data for all your data storage needs.

The Couch Replication Protocol lets your data flow seamlessly between server clusters to mobile phones and web browsers, enabling a compelling offline-first user-experience while maintaining high performance and strong reliability. CouchDB comes with a developer-friendly query language, and optionally MapReduce for simple, efficient, and comprehensive data retrieval.

https://couchdb.apache.org/#download

Pre-built packages for Windows, macOS, Debian/Ubuntu and RHEL/CentOS are available. Docker images have been submitted to Docker Hub for review and will be available as soon as that  process is done.

CouchDB 3.0.0 is a major release, and was originally published on 2020-02-26.

The community would like to thank all contributors for their part in making this release, from the smallest bug report or patch to major contributions in code, design, or marketing, we couldn’t have done it without you!

See the official release notes document for an exhaustive list of all changes:

http://docs.couchdb.org/en/stable/whatsnew/3.0.html

Release Notes highlights:

  - Default installations are now secure and locked down.

  - User-defined partitioned databases for faster querying

  - Live Shard Splitting for incremental scale-out

  - Updated to modern JavaScript engine SpiderMonkey 60

  - Official support for ARM and PPC 32bit and 64bit systems

  - Many large and small performance improvements

  - Automatic view index warmer

  - Smarter Compaction Daemon

  - Smarter I/O Queue

  - Much improved installers for Windows

  - macOS binaries are now Notarized for full future Catalina support

  - Extremely simplified setup of Lucene search

See the “Road to CouchDB 3.0” blog post series for many more details: http://blog.couchdb.org/2020/02/25/the-road-to-couchdb-3-0/

On behalf of the CouchDB PMC,
Jan Lehnardt
—

Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache CouchDB 3.0.0 released

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
On 2020-02-26 12:50, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> Apache CouchDB® 3.0.0 has been released and is available for download.

Congratulations to everyone who helped make this release a reality! This
is the "best CouchDB yet," and I'm really looking forward to using it in
production.

-Joan "and now, party time" Touzet

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
On 2020-02-26 13:13, Jim Mason wrote:
>   Great product and really like the 3.0 features.
> When will we get JDBC driver support to standardize use of CouchDB as our preferred database?

Hi Jim,

The project's general approach to client libraries has been to let the
community build these. If a developer of a successful library then asks
to contribute their code to Apache, and agrees to move development of
that library to our community, we'll take it into the core project - as
has happened for the nano JavaScript library.

The only Java library I'm familiar with for CouchDB at the moment is
ektorp. It does not appear to include a direct JDBC driver.

As the old saying goes: Pull Requests Welcome! That means: roll up your
sleeves and help write a JDBC driver for CouchDB. We absolutely would
welcome another contributor in the community, and another client driver.

Personally, I don't work with any Java-based CouchDB apps, so this isn't
on my own development radar.

Good luck,
Joan

Posted by Naomi Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
wow!! congrats everyone!

Posted by Renato Sinitean <re...@sinitean.org>.
Hi Joan,

Thx for getting back to me and I understand your point and wasn’t aware there is no SM60 for 18.04. Docker is the option I will be looking into for moving my stuff away from 16.04 to either 18.04 or maybe then directly to 20.04. I would be moving one app/server at a time from direct install on 16.04 to a docker image, ideally right away on 18.04 or newer. If things go well, I may be able to go straight to 20.04 when it comes out. It’s not on the urgent list for me right now but if I end up doing a build or image myself I’ll circle it back to the list.

Renato.

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Hi Renato,

Posted by Renato Sinitean <re...@sinitean.org>.