Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Jonathan Mills <jo...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/14 22:31:39 UTC

11.3 - font size much smaller

I switched from 11.2 to 11.3 on Windows 10, and my font size is much
much smaller. So small I can hardly read it.

With 11.2 if I fullsized the window I get 39 lines of code displayed in
the editor (and legible)

With 11.3 it's 84 lines, and too small to read comfortably!

I'm guessing something has changed in this release to make it ignore the
Windows' Display Setting "Scale", but I can't see a setting to
manipulate the size?

Re: 11.3 - font size much smaller

Posted by Jonathan Mills <jo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to Eirik Bakke, the problem turned out to be the installed
version of Java (8).  Upgrading to 11 cleared the problem, once
referenced in etc/netbeans.conf.

Thanks Eirik!

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> Perhaps we should detect people running Java 8 on Windows systems with
HiDPI enabled, and show a warning in this case.

Yes, sounds like a good notification to show users.

--emi

lun., 16 mar. 2020, 17:28 Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com> a scris:

Posted by Jonathan Mills <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Claude Dauphin <jc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

wrote:

> I switched from 11.2 to 11.3 on Windows 10, and my font size is much
> much smaller. So small I can hardly read it.
>
> With 11.2 if I fullsized the window I get 39 lines of code displayed in
> the editor (and legible)
>
> With 11.3 it's 84 lines, and too small to read comfortably!
>
> I'm guessing something has changed in this release to make it ignore the
> Windows' Display Setting "Scale", but I can't see a setting to
> manipulate the size?

Jean-Claude Dauphin

jc.dauphin@gmail.com

https://github.com/J-ISIS

http://www.greenstone.org

Re: 11.3 - font size much smaller

Posted by Jonathan Mills <jo...@gmail.com>.
I will assist all I can Geertjan!

This from Help->About

11.2:

*Product Version:* Apache NetBeans IDE 11.2

*Java:* 1.8.0_191; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.191-b12

*Runtime:* Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_191-b12

*System:* Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_GB (nb)

*User directory:* C:\Users\Jonathan Mills\AppData\Roaming\NetBeans\11.2

*Cache directory:* C:\Users\Jonathan
Mills\AppData\Local\NetBeans\Cache\11.2

I note that whilst the rest of the GUI is in legible font sizes,
actually, the 11.2 Help->about is in the tiny font!

The Tools > Options  Fonts & Colors is set to Monospaced 27 for "default"

11.3:

I downloaded the 11.3, unzipped it, and launched it.  It asked to import
the 11.2 which I said yes to...

Help->About

*Product Version:* Apache NetBeans IDE 11.3

*Java:* 1.8.0_191; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 25.191-b12

*Runtime:* Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_191-b12

*System:* Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_GB (nb)

*User directory:* C:\Users\Jonathan Mills\AppData\Roaming\NetBeans\11.3

*Cache directory:* C:\Users\Jonathan
Mills\AppData\Local\NetBeans\Cache\11.3

The corresponding font selected after the installation was Monospaced13

If it helps ... from Microsoft Windows System Information...

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.18363 Build 18363
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    XPS13-9360
System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
System Model    XPS 13 9360
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    082A
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4
Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. 2.13.0, 14/11/2019
SMBIOS Version    3.0
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Product    02PG84
BaseBoard Version    A00
Platform Role    Mobile
Secure Boot State    On
PCR7 Configuration    Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS
System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.18362.628"
User Name    XPS13-9360\**********
Time Zone    GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory    15.7 GB
Available Physical Memory    6.71 GB
Total Virtual Memory    19.5 GB
Available Virtual Memory    6.89 GB
Page File Space    3.75 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection    Off
Virtualization-based security    Not enabled
Device Encryption Support    Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

and, Display:

Name    Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5917&SUBSYS_082A1028&REV_07\3&11583659&1&10
Adapter Type    Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
Adapter Description    Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
Adapter RAM    1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_31d4973d51adfd52\igdumdim64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_31d4973d51adfd52\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_31d4973d51adfd52\igd10iumd64.dll,C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_31d4973d51adfd52\igd12umd64.dll
Driver Version    26.20.100.7263
INF File    oem47.inf (iKBLD_w10_DS section)
Color Planes    Not Available
Color Table Entries    4294967296
Resolution    3200 x 1800 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel    32
Memory Address    0xDB000000-0xDBFFFFFF
Memory Address    0x90000000-0x9FFFFFFF
I/O Port    0x0000F000-0x0000F03F
IRQ Channel    IRQ 4294967227
Driver
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERSTORE\FILEREPOSITORY\IGDLH64.INF_AMD64_31D4973D51ADFD52\IGDKMD64.SYS
(26.20.100.7263, 19.68 MB (20,631,096 bytes), 30/10/2019 14:56)

The only other thing that may be relevant

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jonathan Mills <jo...@gmail.com>.