Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Jonathan Linczak <li...@hiram.edu> on 2004/06/23 22:39:13 UTC

Better install method?

On the advice of others, I am installing the new Tomcat 5, Cocoon 2.1.5
and the latest CVS release of Lenya.  I had several questions about the
install process (some may be more towards other apps, but they all lead
to Lenya's install):

1.  I see some installation documentation for Cocoon that you can have
it installed and running by just launching cocoon as a servlet using a
stripped down version of Jetty on port 8888, or by building a war file
and adding it to the webapps directory of Tomcat and restarting Tomcat.
  Is there any method which is preferred over the other?

2.  If Cocoon is installed as a webapp in Tomcat, will $COCOON_HOME,
mentioned in the Lenya install doc
(http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/installation/source_version.html) be
pointing to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/cocoon/ or the original place where
it is downloaded?

3.  If Cocoon has Ant already in it, is it necessary to download and
install Ant to install Lenya?

4.  How do I know that the two files in $LENYA_HOME/src/cocoon/
(local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties) were used in the
build process of Cocoon?

5.  Lenya's config asks for pointing to the webapp directory for
Cocoon.  With regards to question 1, if installed using cocoon.war in
Tomcat's webapps folder, will the cocoon.webapp.dir point to the the
directory in Tomcat, or in the directory where Cocoon was first
downloaded?

Jon

Re: Better install method?

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Jonathan Linczak wrote:

> On the advice of others, I am installing the new Tomcat 5, Cocoon 2.1.5
> and the latest CVS release of Lenya.  I had several questions about the
> install process (some may be more towards other apps, but they all lead
> to Lenya's install):
>
> 1.  I see some installation documentation for Cocoon that you can have
> it installed and running by just launching cocoon as a servlet using a
> stripped down version of Jetty on port 8888, or by building a war file
> and adding it to the webapps directory of Tomcat and restarting Tomcat.
>  Is there any method which is preferred over the other?
>
> 2.  If Cocoon is installed as a webapp in Tomcat, will $COCOON_HOME,
> mentioned in the Lenya install doc
> (http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/installation/source_version.html) be
> pointing to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/cocoon/ or the original place where
> it is downloaded?

$COCOON_HOME refers to the top directory of the cocoon source
distribution, not the webapp

> 3.  If Cocoon has Ant already in it, is it necessary to download and
> install Ant to install Lenya?

you can use the one that comes with cocoon

> 4.  How do I know that the two files in $LENYA_HOME/src/cocoon/
> (local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties) were used in the
> build process of Cocoon?

by making sure you copied them from lenya into $COCOON_HOME and then
building cocoon.

> 5.  Lenya's config asks for pointing to the webapp directory for
> Cocoon.  With regards to question 1, if installed using cocoon.war in
> Tomcat's webapps folder, will the cocoon.webapp.dir point to the the
> directory in Tomcat, or in the directory where Cocoon was first downloaded?

the naming is confusing. i use the following layout:

/src
/src/cocoon-2.1
/src/cocoon-lenya
/src/custompub
/build/tomcat/

granted, i use jetty for development which makes it easier :) just run
lenya.sh and hit localhost:8888/

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: Better install method?

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Jonathan Linczak wrote:

> 1.  I see some installation documentation for Cocoon that you can have
> it installed and running by just launching cocoon as a servlet using a
> stripped down version of Jetty on port 8888, or by building a war file
> and adding it to the webapps directory of Tomcat and restarting Tomcat.
>   Is there any method which is preferred over the other?

No, personal preference.

> 2.  If Cocoon is installed as a webapp in Tomcat, will $COCOON_HOME,
> mentioned in the Lenya install doc
> (http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/installation/source_version.html) be
> pointing to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/cocoon/ or the original place where
> it is downloaded?

During the build, its where you downloaded it.  After lenya is
build, you move the lenya file to the webapps directory.

> 3.  If Cocoon has Ant already in it, is it necessary to download and
> install Ant to install Lenya?

Hmmm, I guess not.  I like to have a separate installation of ant
for other projects.

> 4.  How do I know that the two files in $LENYA_HOME/src/cocoon/
> (local.build.properties and local.blocks.properties) were used in the
> build process of Cocoon?

You don't trust us :-)  You can see the inclusion occurring in the
file:

  tools/targets/init-build.xml

this first loads local.build.properties before build.properties thus
fixing your local values.

> 5.  Lenya's config asks for pointing to the webapp directory for
> Cocoon.  With regards to question 1, if installed using cocoon.war in
> Tomcat's webapps folder, will the cocoon.webapp.dir point to the the
> directory in Tomcat, or in the directory where Cocoon was first
> downloaded?

Where you downloaded cocoon.

--
JP