Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by markus09 <un...@gmx.de> on 2009/07/21 11:53:25 UTC

[math] RealMatrix.multply in 2.0

Hello,
I am currently a graduate student in Computer Science and I would like to
contribute some code, but first I some questions about the architecture.

I cannot see, why there is only a RealMatrix.preMultiply() method for
vectors.
Is there a reason, why it is not possible to do a (normal) multiplication
like M*v?
Where can I get more information about the library design choices?

regards,
Markus

Re: [math] RealMatrix.multply in 2.0

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
markus09 a écrit :
> Hello,
> I am currently a graduate student in Computer Science and I would like to
> contribute some code, but first I some questions about the architecture.
>
> I cannot see, why there is only a RealMatrix.preMultiply() method for
> vectors.
> Is there a reason, why it is not possible to do a (normal) multiplication
> like M*v?

It is possible. The method is called "operate".

> Where can I get more information about the library design choices?

There is no formal summary document. The design choices are discussed on
the developers mailing list (this list) whose archives you can browse at
several places, for example here:
http://commons.markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.apache.commons.dev

You can ask on the list for explanations too.

Luc