Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org> on 2001/03/03 03:11:14 UTC

Excluding diffs in CVS mails

Hi,

I got a huge number of complaints when I recently checked in some generated
files to CVS recently (namely web-pages). The diffs caused large mails to
be sent out and annoy everyone :)

So I had a look at CVSROOT and it seems that log_accum.pl is the place to
"fix" this. What I want to do is have per-repository exlcude regexs that
exclude diffs being sent out in mails. Unfortunately it is written in perls
(which I don't know well) so I could of stuffed it up. I have attached a
diff that will alter log_accum.pl so that you can add in excludes per
repository.

So you create a directory /home/cvs/CVSROOT/excludes/ and in it place files
named after repository. Each file has one line which is the exclude
pattern. So an example would be to create file

/home/cvs/CVSROOT/excludes/jakarta-avalon
---
^www
---

which would exclude all files in www directory from CVS diffs.

Can someone check my lame perl mods ;) and make sure it does what I think
it does. And if so is there any objections to something like this and
should I ask root/Brian to apply it ?