Posted to kato-dev@incubator.apache.org by Steve Poole <sp...@googlemail.com> on 2009/03/03 09:56:04 UTC

Google Summer of Code

Google opens its doors soon for Summer of Code submissions  (see here
http://code.google.com/soc/)    ( ASF's standpoint is here
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCodeMentor)   Its sounds like a great
way to get students into open source and to get some  ideas into code.I can
see many places in Kato where we could benefit from the help (and give the
students a real challenge).

I'm more than happy to provide mentoring to students (done it more than a
few times) .  However I think apart from our estimed mentors we're  not
really ready to help students learn about the ways of open source.      Am I
being to conservative ?

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by Steve Poole <sp...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks Ant.

 So  if its possible to go for a submission we should agree what we'd want
them to work on.
I can see two obvious areas of possibility

   1. Creating or substantially improving one or more of the example tools
   we are proposing .
   2. Getting Kato linked into an existing tool(s)

What do others think about this?

Re: Google Summer of Code

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.