Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Siva <si...@sivasundaram.com> on 2003/08/16 18:03:23 UTC

Unix to Dos

Hi group,
    A question.When i update my local copy,Idea shows certain files with interleaved blank lines.Ultraedit says they arent in DOS format.Is it a problem of unix/dos character encoding?

Regards
Siva

Re: Unix to Dos

Posted by Bill de hÓra <bi...@dehora.net>.
Bill de hÓra wrote:

> Bill de hÓra wrote:

> If someone with commit rights runs dos2unix on the files or lets
> ultraedit do its thing, and checks them in with a windows client (not
> cygwin's), they should be ok from there. A script I use to clean up
> files is attached.

Urk my apologies, I'm making things worse -  that should say

"If someone with commit rights checks them out using cygwin's
default client or from linux (to get dos endings \r\n), then runs
dos2unix on the files and checks them back in with the same client,
they should be ok from there"

Bill de hÓra

Re: Unix to Dos

Posted by Siva <si...@sivasundaram.com>.
I use a windows xp mach with smartcvs and Intellij Idea for development.Shud
i change something on my mach to prevent further errors?

now i see StringsTest in proper format.can someone pls change also StateTest
and InvocationTypeTest?.

Thanks
Buon Lavoro
Siva

RE: Unix to Dos

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jason Dillon asked:
> Can you save me the time and include details on how to
> [automate crlf conversion]

See: http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/james-server/build.xml and search for
fixcrlf.  It is already built into Ant.

	--- Noel

Re: Unix to Dos

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
Can you save me the time and include details on how to do this ;-)

--jason

RE: Unix to Dos

Re: Unix to Dos

Posted by Bill de hÓra <bi...@dehora.net>.
Bill de hÓra wrote:
> Siva wrote:
>
>> Hi group,
>>     A question.When i update my local copy,Idea shows certain files
>> with interleaved blank lines.Ultraedit says they arent in DOS
>> format.Is it a problem of unix/dos character encoding?
>

> You might to say which files. Have you been using cygwin's cvs client?

Never mind, saw the files you mentioned and they all have garbage
line endings (\r\r\n). The corresponding ,v files in the repository
probably have dos linefeeds (\r\n) instead of the unix ones (\n)
that cvs expects. *

If someone with commit rights runs dos2unix on the files or lets
ultraedit do its thing, and checks them in with a windows client
(not cygwin's), they should be ok from there. A script I use to
clean up files is attached.

Btw, if you're using cygwin's default cvs client and are creating
dos ended files do consider changing your setup to use cvsnt.
Instructions to use cvsnt via cygwin are here:

  http://www.dehora.net/journal/archives/000330.html

Bill de hÓra

* The files in cvs repository had a \r\n probably because an import
from a unix type client didn't convert the \r\n to \n. As a result
if a unix client checks them out you get a windows file and if a
windows client checks them out you get the \n converted to a \r\n
and the files end up having \r\r\n (if my memory serves me
correctly, I get this stuff mixed up ;). I have no idea what the
story is with a Mac (things probably just work).

Re: Unix to Dos

Posted by Bill de hÓra <bi...@dehora.net>.

Re: Unix to Dos

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
StringsTest looks fine to me, have not checked the others.

--jason

RE: Unix to Dos

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.
StringsTest has CR/LF delimiters in CVS which will cause this. The most
likely cause is that someone is using a cygwin CVS client in Unix mode with
a DOS text editor.

Bruce/Jason you are listed in the log for this file - can you check your
machine settings and then fix any other files you may have touched.

--
Jeremy

Posted by Siva <si...@sivasundaram.com>.
The files which i sent