Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/06/29 07:02:14 UTC

Personal update ...

Hi folks,

the last few weeks showed a little less activity here, especially from me. Now’s the time to give you an update on what and why.

Last Friday I officially had my last working day at codecentric.

The problem is, that the progress of the project and the adoption of PLC4X in the industry seems to be good. We can see from some of the domain names on this list, that a lot of big companies are experimenting with PLC4X or even already using it. codecentric had been paying my for the past 4 years to work on PLC4X almost full-time. Of course they were hoping on some consulting work. Unfortunately the amount of consulting work we got could not by far cover my costs. So at the end of my research-semester starting October I would have had to decide what to give up … my work on PLC4X or my job at codecentric.

I guess you now all know how I decided ;-) So no worries … PLC4X will remain my biggest area of contribution.

So I decided that I’ll be going back to self-employment, but as I know that one-man-shows don’t take off, I’ve joined forces with Julian’s PragmaticMinds and we’re trying to lift training and consulting services around IoT open-source projects to the next level.

On https://industrial-opensource.com you can have a look at what we have planned.

But all the changes behind the scenes consumed about all of the additional cycles I had. Hopefully this work is soon done (My companies logo and website will still be updated … so please don’t judge it by its current state ;-) … that’s actually about 10-12 years old and will hopefully be replaced in about a week ;-)

I won’t be going into details on this too much as I don’t think that commercial offerings should be discussed on an open-source-project list … if you want information, just contact us.

So-far the update. I just wanted to tell you all what’s happening.

Chris