Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com> on 2016/11/23 07:25:20 UTC

Re: My entire novel was replaced with hash[marks]

At 21:01 22/11/2016 -0600, Doug Noname wrote:
>On 11/22/2016 02:28 PM, Hagar Delest wrote:
>>Indeed, this is a problem known for quite some times. IMHO the most
>>critical one. But nothing done yet about that. Very often, it is
>>linked to power shortage during the save operation.
>
>*"Indeed, this is a problem known for quite some times. IMHO the
>most critical one. But nothing done yet about that."* I bet if more
>people knew that, there would be a lot fewer people using OpenOffice!

They would be crazy to reject an application merely because they saw
a mess created because they had powered their computer off whilst a
program - here OpenOffice - was still doing its job, or because of a
hardware or operating system problem. That's why you keep back-up copies.

>I'm glad I'm not using OO. Nor its fork, LibreOffice. For other
>reasons, but this one is a lulu!

I don't know what a "lulu" is; the Urban Dictionary tells me it means
"beautiful, gorgeous, magnificent, extraordinary" - though I doubt
that is what you mean. But if you expect your computer to continue to
run any program whilst it is no longer powered, perhaps that makes
you the "lulu"? If you are using an alternative product and it is not
showing similar problems, that is because you are being careful about
how you use your computer and being lucky not to have hardware
problems or power outages outside your control.

Note that the hash marks seen by the original questioner mean that
his operating system is delivering an empty area of disk in place of
the actual (previous) contents of the document file. You can hardly
blame any application for not being able to handle something it isn't
even given.

Brian Barker